Live backing on an iPod... Not working for me

greyskull

Mar 22, 2006
Hey guy's, apologies for the new thread, I appreciate the matter of how to do this is already well covered, and this is NOT what this is about.

Let me explain

Currently have done a few shows running our backing of Pro tools on a MBP into an MBox. Click left, backing right; blah blah blah Worked really well so far!

However, that is a lot of stuff I'd rather not carry round. We have already bought an Smpro audio Di Dock Live http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/di-boxes/di-dock-live WHich you'd think would be a perfect Set up.

However, no matter what i do with the MP3's /waves/aiffs I put on the iPod, Im still getting a fair bit of channel crosstalk; I.e Click in the backing, which when you play post rock REALLY spoils the illusion somewhat.

Tried multiple file formats; turned off All the sound enhancements etc in iTunes but still unusable currently.

Anyone else come across this and got any ideas?

Cheers guys

Hey guy's, apologies for the new thread, I appreciate the matter of how to do this is already well covered, and this is NOT what this is about.

Let me explain

Currently have done a few shows running our backing of Pro tools on a MBP into an MBox. Click left, backing right; blah blah blah Worked really well so far!

However, that is a lot of stuff I'd rather not carry round. We have already bought an Smpro audio Di Dock Live http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/di-boxes/di-dock-live WHich you'd think would be a perfect Set up.

However, no matter what i do with the MP3's /waves/aiffs I put on the iPod, Im still getting a fair bit of channel crosstalk; I.e Click in the backing, which when you play post rock REALLY spoils the illusion somewhat.

Tried multiple file formats; turned off All the sound enhancements etc in iTunes but still unusable currently.

Anyone else come across this and got any ideas?

Cheers guys

Have you diagnosed where the crosstalk occurs? i.e. is it coming from the iPod (when you listen to it with cans are you getting crosstalk) or the di dock live? My guess would be it's coming from the di dock live. Maybe you have a defective unit?

Most guys use the iPod into a small mixer (like a yammy mg102c) & use the headphone output for their ears, pan the backing tracks & click appropriately and send whatever output with the tracks to the house. I work with a lot of bands that do it this way and don't have any problems with crosstalk.

I guess the easiest way to diagnose would be to record the 2 channels out of your iPod into an interface and record the 2 channels out of the di dock into an interface, solo the channels and see where the crosstalk is