Live dvd that is just...edited to death

Call me crazy, but the video in the OP seems pretty live to me...I didn't watch the entire duration but the portion I did see was fine, I don't get what the problem is. The Pantera one is absolutely terrible :lol:

Check the whole video then..

And the Pantera video is a MUSIC VIDEO, not a LIVE VIDEO.. ;)
But thats kind of what i meant, if this trend goes on, eventually live videos will end up being like that music video.

Secret Chiefs 3: Live At The Great American Music Hall is the epitomy of live dvd's IMO.
That and Nine Inch Nails: And All That Could Have Been
both are filmed with fairly low quality cameras, both have great mixes, both depict the band at the top of their game in a totally live fashion. you can hear mistakes and fuck ups in both dvd's but for the most part it's just supremely tight, because the bands don't NEED editing.

If this band sucks so bad that they need that much editing, they shouldn't be touring and making dvd's. FUCK them.
However, i am gonna watch the clip D:

edit: after this secret chiefs album of course

shits no laughing matter haha.
id much rather hear the mistakes live, reminds us that these ARE humans playing this music after all, and not SSD3 and 8505, but if theres that many mistakes that theyve felt the need to edit it that much, they just dont deserve to be gigging, full fucking stop. they're lying to themselves and their fans, and I just outright don't agree with that.

Just to ask you : do you think last Arch Enemy DVD is 100% live ?

Also, is last Nevermore DVD 100% live too ?

Because of their production that is great, it has less that live feeling, and sometimes I would swear it's edited or re-recorded on some parts. And I can't say if it is because of a too perfect sound, or because of video editing that is sometimes not perfectly sync'ed.

Check this out, it sounds pretty live to me, you can listen to the "untightness" of both players, some screechs and noise when palm muting and stuff and muting the guitar... BUT look at the beginning... what the fuck? I'm listening to a RIDE but he's hitting a hihat?? Something I'm not getting here? I think this was dubbed... because he is clearly hitting the hihat...

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16Ns_qaUCA&feature=related

Check this out, it sounds pretty live to me, you can listen to the "untightness" of both players, some screechs and noise when palm muting and stuff and muting the guitar... BUT look at the beginning... what the fuck? I'm listening to a RIDE but he's hitting a hihat?? Something I'm not getting here? I think this was dubbed... because he is clearly hitting the hihat...

it could be a video editing thing. perhaps they didn't have any other good shots to switch to, so the video editor found some other footage of the drummer hitting a cymbal not knowing the difference in sound between the two.

The worst offender for this is the guns god and government marilyn manson dvd. Its literally like watching a music video the entire way through. Absolutely RUBBISH.Arch Enemy live apocalypse, slipknots disastorpieces get the balance right but my favorite band dvd has to be the megadeth rude awakening dvd, gets the balance just right.

As for the video in question it makes them sound as dull as crap, i couldnt watch more than 60 seconds of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16Ns_qaUCA&feature=related

at 0.27 you can see the real deal, with him hitting the ride.

My favourite live DVD's have to be Sepultura's Under Siege and Gojira's Link Alive.

Both are amazing LIVE perfomances, flaws and everything. Live perfomances are about the raw energy, not about flawless sounds and perfomances.

That's what I personally want from a live DVD, not music videos with studio quality sound. That's why we have music videos etc.