Live DVDs

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
There's no thread for this, so...What are some good ones?
Obviously recommendations are based on the assumption you like the bands music, for example, the Wrath of the Norsemen DVD set from Amon Amarth is great but if you don't like Amon Amarth then you won't like it...

A couple that are good...
Amon Amarth - Wrath Of The Norsemen - 5 full concerts for the price of one DVD, great and varied setlists, great performances. Great live band

Judas Priest - Electric Eye - Excellent concert, good set, includes all the videos and some old TV performances. Great stuff.

Guns 'n' Roses - Use Your Illusion - Great concert. Great performances all around, esp from Slash, great setlist + stage show

Queensryche - Mindcrime At The Moore - Sometimes amusing, but very good, and good value - they do mindcrime 1 and 2 in their entirety and a couple off Empire

Queensryche - Operation: Livecrime - Great performances and stage show, great crowd

All of Iron Maiden's live DVDs are top notch

In Flames - Used And Abused - setlist is less than perfect for 2 shows, the third is perfect, but all the performances are extremely energetic and wonderful crowds

To be avoided:
Motley Crue - Lewd, Crued & Tattooed - Vince's voice is totally shot, ruining what would have been a collection of all the band's best songs performed live in front of a great crowd.
Megadeth - Rude Awakening - Perfect, extremely listless and passionless performance from a group of robots pretending to be Megadeth. Good setlist, though

So basically, what are some good dvds, which should be avoided?

Hypocrisy - Live and Clips
Zyklon - Storm Detonation Live

Only ones I own besides the ones that come as bonus with CD's.

I'd rather buy live CD's than watch DVD's.

Carpathian Forest. The nekkid chubbiez and their bass player are worth the price of admission. I do forget what the bassist had written on his ass tho...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSoejxlbmP0&feature=related[/ame]

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same
Prince - Sign O The Times
Enslaved - Live Relatiation, Return to Yggdrasil
Iron Maiden - everything

Arcturus - Shipwrecked in Oslo. Very very awesome DVD. Well-produced.

I like...

Dream Theater "Live in Tokyo"
Megadeth "Rude Awakening"
Slayer "War at the Warfield"
Yngwie Malmsteen "Live in Lenningrad"
Steve Vai "Live at the Astoria London"

I really want to get the new Vai DVD. Testament has one that came out in the last few years I want to get as well.

EDIT: I just ordered the Emperor DVD after reading this thread. Aren't they putting out a 2nd DVD soon??

Queensryche - Operation: Livecrime - Great performances and stage show, great crowd

I ordered that from the net months ago. Never arrived :erk: :zombie:

Only live DVDs I have are:
Pink Floyd ~ PULSE
Porcupine Tree ~ Arriving Somewhere...

I want to get the Arcturus one too.

Anyone seen the Therion 6 disk dvd? I want to get it but am unsure of the quality.

I hear the new Opeth is supposed to be fantastic too; and of course the Candlemass release (saw some clips from Nec, sounded awesome (although it was youtube yuality....:erk:)

I'm the exact opposite.
I'd recommend Opeth - Lamentations
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere
Enslaved - Yggsdrasill (Live in Bergen)

I watched parts of Lamentations at a friend's house the other day. It was good, but I'd rather listen to The Roundhouse Tapes. Listening on headphones gives me more of a "being-there" feeling, plus the setlist on the Tapes is far superior.

To be avoided: CARPATHIAN FOREST - We're Going To Hollywood
horrible interview and im puking when i think about those two fat old women beeing a part of the live show, unwatchable. but i sounds good as long as you dont watch it and then the whole reason for having it on dvd is wasted.

Opeth ~ lamentations
Dismember ~ live blasphemies
Entombed ~ monkey puss
Candlemass ~ the curse of candlemass

Anyone seen the Therion 6 disk dvd? I want to get it but am unsure of the quality.

I bought that one. I hate to say it, but it's very well packaged, however extremely over done. The first disc is the main show & it is very long. It just doesn't really captivate you. The video quality isn't that great, but the sound is fine. The 2nd disc is all doubles of those songs played at different parts of the world, some of the songs are done more than once = unnecessary. I couldn't stand to force myself to watch all of it after watching the first DVD. I made it halfway through the third DVD... Kristian Niemann is an amazing guitarist though.