Live instrumental Prog Metal Recording with video! Shardborne

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Hey guys, check out this live recording I did of my band Shardborne.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYY5mrIAyU4&feature=youtube[/ame]

All recorded live with no overdubs and no comping of takes to make a master take. The vid was also one cam doing one shot all the way through.

I did the tracking and mixing. We used the miced guitar tones for the finished mix and the only use of samples was blending in the kick and snare, with the majority of the mix being all natural miced drums.

Guitars were the Agile 8 string into a Digitech GSP1101, Marshall el34 loaded poweramp into the Laney cab miced with a SM57. The 7 string Washburn is going through an AMT s1 and EHX Magnum 44 into the Marshall cab also miced with an SM57. I took DI's but we didn't use them in the end!

Bass is a Roland d- bass combo miced with an AKG D112 and a DI out of a Sansamp.

Kit is Premier Signia kit with an Audix D6 on the kit inside, a Smason q kick on the outside. Beyer M201 on snr top, with an SM57 on the bottom. Audix D2's on toms and Sennheiser md421 on the floor tom. Overheads are Oktava mc 012's with an SM7b on hats and Rode Nt-1 on the ride.

I used a RME fireface as the interface, using an Allen and Heath Gl2200's pres for the kit's shell mics, The RME's pres for the cymbals and the behnringer ADA8000 for everything else!

What do you think? I'm pretty happy, it turned out much better than I expected it to. I tried to not overthink the mix and did it pretty quickly. All in all I spent maybe 3-4 hours on the whole mix including changes after my initial mix.

934778_491755327557481_563770146_n.jpg

Here's a pic of the room all set up for the recording