Live or Studio?

Dark One

The Tainted Dogma
Feb 5, 2002
Southwest Florida
www.ultimatemetal.com
Which aspect of a band, the live version or the studio version, is more important to you? Which has more merit?

Many bands, certainly not all, tend to use "studio magic" in their recordings through so many aspects (overdubs/mixing/enhancements, etc.), but only truly showcase their skill in a live setting, where there is only one chance to shine and re-create the studio songs. That said, other bands can create near masterpieces of skill in the studio, only to bore the hell out you with a lackluster stage presence.

Another consideration is that a band may come across as a completely different entity in a live setting than in a studio setting or vice versa, where the sound of a band is just somehow..... different, leading you to think to yourself "is this the same band"?

Just curious to see what everyone thinks.

I actually have had this debate with numerous people, and I would say a studio album has more merit, mainly because it's what I will be listenign to over and over again. Of course, I still enjoy a band that can put on a great live show.

Here is an example, Behemoth is an okay band on their album, they have a few catchy songs on an album, while their live performance is ace, Nergal does a great job playing live and getting the crowd into it; moreover, Summoning, a band that refuses to play live, makes fantastic albums, yet if I were to see them live, I don't think I could stand their and watch them, I'd be bored out of my mind.

I think the answer is easier than it looks, because what do you spend more time listenign to? Live bands or just the albums? I think I get more pleasure out of an album, and if I had to choose, I'd choose a great album, sucky live performace every time.

Depends on the style of music really, and the individual bands. A lousy live performance can make me lose respect for a band, but it probably won't make me hate them. On the other hand a great live performance can make me fall in love with a group, like The Cult. Was at some festival a few years ago and right before they hit the stage I started grumbling because they I can't stand them. Stuck around anyhow and was floored. Cool.

Dark One said:
Which aspect of a band, the live version or the studio version, is more important to you? Which has more merit?
Hard to say. Generally speaking, if a band sucks on disc, I'll never end up seeing them live. If I enjoy their discs, but they suck live, I tend to lose a lot of respect for them and it diminishes my enjoyment of their discs.

Dark One said:
Another consideration is that a band may come across as a completely different entity in a live setting than in a studio setting or vice versa, where the sound of a band is just somehow..... different, leading you to think to yourself "is this the same band"?
Not so much different, but different than I expected... Isis. Having seen Opeth half a dozen times, I expected to be bored when I saw Isis. Both bands move frequently between slow and fast tempos in all of their songs. I've found this kills the energy at an Opeth show and expected the experience would be similar with Isis. However, that wasn't the case at all. Isis is amazing live. Amazing energy and intensity.

Zod

NADatar said:
On the other hand a great live performance can make me fall in love with a group, like The Cult.

I agree with this - I've heard bands that have clicked with me before seeing them, but upon witnessing the sheer power they possess in a live setting, made that respect grow to, well, near fanboyism proportions I guess. It's happened with Metallica, Iced Earth, In Flames (Colony era days), among others.

General Zod said:
Hard to say. Generally speaking, if a band sucks on disc, I'll never end up seeing them live. If I enjoy their discs, but they suck live, I tend to lose a lot of respect for them and it diminishes my enjoyment of their discs.

So based on that, it would seem a bad live show would still afford you the opportunity to enjoy a band, whereas bad studio albums would preclude you from the possibility of further enjoyment, barring the rare exception. I would conclude then that studio enjoyment of a band (generally speaking) has greater merit for you.

General Zod said:
Not so much different, but different than I expected... Isis. Having seen Opeth half a dozen times, I expected to be bored when I saw Isis. Both bands move frequently between slow and fast tempos in all of their songs. I've found this kills the energy at an Opeth show and expected the experience would be similar with Isis. However, that wasn't the case at all. Isis is amazing live. Amazing energy and intensity.

I really need to check out their live set. The studio output is having a difficult time getting over with me, and based on what I've heard from yourself and others, the live show may present an aspect of the band that I haven't discovered yet. If I'm blown away by them live, it will be interesting to see if my enjoyment of the studio output increases. I may all of a sudden "get it". It's actually a pretty cool experiment.

there are plenty of bands I would never listen to on disc that I would enjoy live. I've seen Paul McCartney, for instance. After the Beatles he made only a few tracks I thought were worthy of his talents as both a songwriter and bass player (he truly was a groundbreaker for his time). But live he's the consumate pro, the songs have more heft, and he tosses in so many classics that it's alot of fun.

Also if you're going out drinking with friends even a shitty bar band can be fun after the third or fourth beer.

lizard said:
Also if you're going out drinking with friends even a shitty bar band can be fun after the third or fourth beer.

Oh yeah, absolutely - I kind of put that in a category on it's own, but it's still a great point because the perception of having an awesome time at a live show by "Band A" while drunk/hanging out, can probably alter your perception of "Band A" as you look back on things in a sober frame of mind.

Nothing compares to being there, that much is certain. But the number of live performances I've seen that actually improve upon studio renditions is relatively few (Isis being among them, and adding to this is the fact that they debuted new material live and I'll have to compare the studio versions against the live instead of vice versa), and I've rarely seen bands I was unfamiliar with and ended up walking away converted.

ditto on ISIS ... all of us that went to that show were floored by them and none of us expected to. even a friend of mine that never heard them, dug that stuff ... I love it when that happens.

more recently it happened with Hammers and Vehemence, which on disc sounds rather pedestrian, but live they fucking rule.

I said it a million times before, a GREAT band, not a good band ... always has a good mix of 50% music/chops and the other 50% personality that translates into a great show.

if you think of all the huge bands in the world ... in any genre, this is the case. the rest ... they fall by the wayside.

This depends on the music. But more often than not, I enjoy listening to music on my own more. I simply can't imagine some bands live. But some bands were born to play live. I guess certain sounds just don't have the energy and presence that makes a good live show.