Studio "Live" Recording Tips??

MKS

May 24, 2005
In a few weeks I will be recording a band live in the studio. Can you guys please share some tidbits of wisdom? I've never really recorded a band live in the studio before.

Thanks in advance.......

Best if u can still use a click , good bands are able to do it live

Monitor mix is the most crucial thing playing /recording live so u need to make sure everyone is happy with the monitoring

and u should custom different mixes according to their tastes

+1 for the click!

You should only let the drummer hear click though, so that the rest of the band follows the drummer. This way it will feel and sound much more natural.

Also, don't forget to go for as much physical separation as you can (singer in another room? guitar cab in another room? if possible, of course). this is probably the most important thing.
And think about the planning before the band comes in, because you will be using all your stuff at once. Obvious stuff, but you won't probably be used to it when never recording live: Do you have enough headphones? Are you able to deliver different monitor mixes to the musicians? Do you have enough Microphones/Cables? How Do you distribute the available channels and microphones for the best result? etc.

Click to the drummer, definitely.

Take a DI feed from each guitarist and the bassist, as well.

I'd personally track vocals separately, but that miiight kill the vibe. Devin Townsend did his with an SM7 live for the studio footage on the Synchestra DVD, and it ended up sounding great, though.