Live performance: switching multiple pedals question

Lionwing

Lurker
Sep 7, 2009
Manchester, UK
Here is a question that probably has a simple answer but I'm just too retarded to figure it out: In my new band we have the need to switch from our distorted to clean tones (and vice versa) a lot live, how can I simultaneously turn off my tubescreamer and NS-2 AND switch channels on my amp AND turn ON a delay pedal in the FX loop, aside from stamping on 4 pedals very quickly each time I want to change tones? There must be a way to achieve this but like I say I can't figure it out!

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated. Here is my signal chain if it is of any use: guitar > tu1000 > ns-2 > TS9 > amp input. Boss DD7 on the FX loop.

Cheers!

The simple answer is: a midi loop switcher and remote midi foot controller. You program the controller and it will with one button change everything that is midi controlled to whatever settings is in the preset you make. Thus you can: change amp channels, take two pedals out of the audio system, put two into the audio path and if you have a multi fx unit change presets ... instantly with one button while playing live.

how about a true bypass looper with your ns and ts in one loop and have it right beside the channel switch

Definatly the quickest/cheapest option. That g-lab stuff looks fuckin awesome but also looks expensive. For a cheaper option there is the Rocktron Patchmate 8 Floor or the Musicom Labs EFX II. I guess it depends on your budget, how much flexibility/expandibility you want and if your running a rack or floor system. There are generally more rack midi looper systems than floor like the RJM Audio and Voodoo Labs products.

how about a true bypass looper with your ns and ts in one loop and have it right beside the channel switch

Since he wants to turn on a delay on the clean tone the easiest and cheapest way would be to buy an A/B stompbox.
They go for about 40$ and you need a Y-plug in the amp.

The best solution is as mentioned a midi-controller, but thats expensive as hell.

Thanks a lot for the replies, seems like so much to do something so simple! The true bypass pedal seems to be a cheap and effective way to turn off the ts and ns though, will look into that! Might be cheaper to hire a pedal tech than to get a midi controller though!

Been dicking about with a setup like this for pretty much 2 and a half years. Never got what I wanted. Your best bet is an Axe-FX and an MFC, or learn to tap dance.

The VHT SigX has the ability to remember if the fx loop is on for its three channels. If you have loop on for channel 1 and switch to channel 2 where loop is off, you can switch back to channel 1 and have loop on without having to turn it on again. It's a nice feature but would still require some stomping around.

yeah the jvm will do that too...for the modes even, so you can have twelve of them with fx loop assigned on or off, and also dual channel volumes and reverb.

but still, in the end, should you want a different delay time or something, tap dancing and/or midi control is necessary.

The VHT SigX has the ability to remember if the fx loop is on for its three channels. If you have loop on for channel 1 and switch to channel 2 where loop is off, you can switch back to channel 1 and have loop on without having to turn it on again. It's a nice feature but would still require some stomping around.

Indeed it does. But the problem is what about the times where you want to go from clean + delay (in the fx loop) to distortion, and then back to clean without delay, later on it. It still becomes a tap dance.

I have the Sig X, and pretty much I only use the effects loop for a solo boost. I want to incorporate it into my setup a bit more, but the very way that it works holds me back from doing so.

I have the G lab gsc2 and it works well for me... but i know that Drew never got on with... sooooo make of that what you will!

GCX Audio Switcher... It changes my amp channels via analogue relays and switches my TS/ Wah/ tuner/ gmajor and Decimator in and out of the loop.
I love it!

A thought: With the ISP Decimator G-String / ProRack G instead of the Boss NS2 you wouldn't have to turn off your noise-gate for clean sounds from what I heard.. so that would be one tap less. I also have to switch frequently between normal amp distortion, distortion with delay pedal, clean with delay pedal, and dry clean in most songs and without a hearable "gap" in the playing. It was horrible in the beginning. Getting used to it now, but I can't imagine I would be able to do it with even more pedals.. that's why I took the TS out of the chain.
Why is there no remote controlled pickup switch for guitar btw? :lol: I hate having to switch it on the neck PU, hitting the clean channel and turn on the FX loop at the same time if I want a decent clean tone.