LIVE ROOM DIMENSIONS

Jun 22, 2009
Spain
www.youtube.com
Hi. I will build a Recording Room and a Control Room in my house. I was wondering if anyone know tell me by their experiences, what is the minimal dimensions for the Live Room, to record drums, guitars, bass and vocals decently. Basically i want Metal Recording.

Thank you.

I can tell you now you are going to get a mixed bag of advice. In my experience you have 2 options.

1. Spend a shit load of money and make the room sound fantastic. (Large, High Ceilings, Bass trapping, Mid/High Absorbers, diffusion, etc.)

Or

2. Create a somewhat "dead/controlled" and I don't mean dead to the point of a shitty unbalanced sound, the instrument should sound great in the room, just not as reflective room that in a way kind of takes the room out of the equation a little more. Now you can create a sense of space with Room samples and reverbs. I truly think that a ton of bass trapping is always your friend. Be careful not to absorb all of the highs and leave the mud area untouched.

My tracking room is far from big (500 sq ft) with 8 foot ceilings. I can get decent drum sounds for sure. I track my vocals and guitars in a smaller 7 x 8 booth that is very treated.

Also don't make the mistake I made the first time. I made the live room big and the control room small. The control room is where I spend most of my time and it was crowded and sounded like shit.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for your help. I note what you advised me. with a control room contare That can be up to 25 square meters, but the live room have 3.40 x 3 meters expandable That One Could 4,60 x 3 meters if necessary . There are 3.15 meters tall in room.

This size room, with a proper acoustic treatment, could be enough to record drums and vocals with good quality?????

Regarding the fishbowl. It would be possible to use a camera with monitor, instead of using a soundproof window to make the fishbowl????? Do you know if there are studies That Do not use window in the tank and instead use a camera with monitors???

What result would give the use of cameras and monitors to communicate the Control Room with Live Room, instead of using a soundproof glass window?????

A greeting and thank you very much for your help.

Are you actually constructing from the ground up? A room within a room, floating floors? If so we are no longer taking budget into account so go for the double pane glass. If you are not going to that extent and are trying to do this a cheap as possible don't worry about the window and worry more about SOUND of the room. Don't forget the most important part of this whole process is making the rooms sound good. A soundproof room isn't necessarily a good sounding one. I truly believe in most "home studio" situations where square footage and budgets are quite as big that a somewhat "dead/controlled" room will be the way to go. Bass Traps, Bass Traps, Bass Traps.

Many will disagree but simply speak with peoples who had build studio/project studio before for get confirmation for what follow if you doubt it: hire a pro for the design...
Many big studio design pro also work with small budget room (Bob Hodas, George Ausperger just for drop name).

Mikaël-ange;10472693 said:
Many will disagree but simply speak with peoples who had build studio/project studio before for get confirmation for what follow if you doubt it: hire a pro for the design...
Many big studio design pro also work with small budget room (Bob Hodas, George Ausperger just for drop name).

+1

Best money i've ever spend.

I am using cameras right now since my rooms aren't attached in this semi converted house. They work great for just basic hand communication and such and to see what is going on when the headphones are down and such.

However there is about a half second of latency which makes them worthless for queuing, watching fingers, or any other sort of live visual queues since they will arrive late.

The windows and sight lines for iso booths and people in the control room are great since you get the realtime feedback. Basically a lot of the same feel of playing live together, but sonically separated. But in reality it still takes a bit of getting used to since you feel like you are in a cage.

So for guys that need that I have them play with headphones in the room.

Soundproof windows are a bit expensive, but not really that much in the grand scheme of studio construction. All depends on your workflow of course. I track more in the control room than anywhere else.

Also consider you will need two cameras so they can see you as well, which is also important. Add monitors and TV's, video extensions, etc. the cost gets up there. I use a laptop and webcams (higher latency, but cheaper). With webcams you can only have one per USB bus. So I have to use the laptop cam.

I am using cameras right now since my rooms aren't attached in this semi converted house. They work great for just basic hand communication and such and to see what is going on when the headphones are down and such.

However there is about a half second of latency which makes them worthless for queuing, watching fingers, or any other sort of live visual queues since they will arrive late.

The windows and sight lines for iso booths and people in the control room are great since you get the realtime feedback. Basically a lot of the same feel of playing live together, but sonically separated. But in reality it still takes a bit of getting used to since you feel like you are in a cage.

So for guys that need that I have them play with headphones in the room.

Soundproof windows are a bit expensive, but not really that much in the grand scheme of studio construction. All depends on your workflow of course. I track more in the control room than anywhere else.

Also consider you will need two cameras so they can see you as well, which is also important. Add monitors and TV's, video extensions, etc. the cost gets up there. I use a laptop and webcams (higher latency, but cheaper). With webcams you can only have one per USB bus. So I have to use the laptop cam.

Thank you so much. Your experience is very helpful me. I Cherish all options with their advantages and disadvantages.
Greeting