Live Sound books/vids?

Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Be Creative, Get Laid
Apr 7, 2009
Jersey
I need to start learning live sound and FOH mixing as my boss wants to move me over to sound. Ive mainly been doing stage lighting and havent had the time on the job to see whats going on over in the sound guys areas. Does anyone know of any good tutorials or any info I can get to start getting a grasp on live sound engineering?

Well even if the technology has changed a bit since then, I doubt the fundamental principles have!

I need to start learning live sound and FOH mixing as my boss wants to move me over to sound. Ive mainly been doing stage lighting and havent had the time on the job to see whats going on over in the sound guys areas. Does anyone know of any good tutorials or any info I can get to start getting a grasp on live sound engineering?

Few points to note;

1) buy that book and learn it. don't just read it. learn it.

2) get out and actually do the job, but try and do it under a team that know what they're doing so they can dig you out if you fuck up (which you will).

3) don't stress about it. I've done loads of shows, and some of the more important ones it's taken me half the show to get anywhere near the sound I had in the soundcheck.

4) use earplugs if you're mixing it LOUD. yes, they're not "cool" - but you don't want to get deaf quick, do you?

5) make sure you know the differences between powers and phases. it might not be your job, and they might not have it - but if you're used to using HP for lights, then you'll have to learn about which phase sound can go on. the book will help with this. as will experienced guys (or house chaps).

6) learn to shout at bands. this is the most important.

If you are looking for something more recent, you could check this out:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Recording-Go-Definitive-Guide-Live/dp/1598635018[/ame]

or this one

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Recording-Music-Location-Bruce-Bartlett/dp/0240808916/ref=pd_cp_b_1[/ame]