'official live sound thread'

everything should be in mono.. if you do this give the sound guy a separate output for each instrument, so he can, at the very least, control all the levels independently.. there's nothing more frustrating than a band that gives you a single stereo output for a bunch of instruments and the levels are not correct and there is nothing you can do to fix it..

Everything in Mono? Even the keyboards? I have tried the keys mono. It umm doesn't sound good at all. It also loses a lot of volume. The keyboards don't really have any insane stereo effects going on but the samples it uses are stereo samples, when its output in mono it doesn't take well to it.

And yeah, I was planning on giving the sound guy separate outputs. If I didn't then he wouldn't be able to anything at all pretty much lol...

Audio Technica AE 2500. (the dual-element mic)
i think it's quite awesome to use on cabs but its a lot heavier than a 57, i5, 609 etc..
i tried also fixing it with a strap (not sure if thats the right word... those things you use on trucks/cars to secure cargo) it worked on a randall cab but somehow not on orange cabs... i'd love to get rid of stands haha those on the cabs are the last ones except for the backing vocals but i think i wont be able to get rid of those :)

Have you considered something like the metal drum mounts posted below? There's another brand who have a smaller drum rim only style mount which I've used and attached it tightly to the handle of a cabinet. This ones clip is a little wider which is better but the only issue might be the length of the metal bar.

SC_JMM_inuse.jpg

This one is made by Gibraltar Hardware.

Have you considered something like the metal drum mounts posted below? There's another brand who have a smaller drum rim only style mount which I've used and attached it tightly to the handle of a cabinet. This ones clip is a little wider which is better but the only issue might be the length of the metal bar.

SC_JMM_inuse.jpg

This one is made by Gibraltar Hardware.

i tried the ones by LP and they didn't work but i'm gonna try find a local dealer with the gibraltar ones to try it out! thanks a lot for the input!

Alright, yesterday i tried to use a dual kick mic setup for the first time (Sennheiser E602 + Beta 91a) and it was pretty awesome. I didn't have much time to sound check so i just used my standard eq settings (boost on 50db, cut at 800hz and boosting 1k and 6k) on the two mics and i really liked the tones i was getting. It was a 60's/70's rock band so i couldn't go to click heaven but the tones were pretty great.

And i love how the K&M 240/5 (or 24050) works ... next search is something similar for guitar amps.

Alright, yesterday i tried to use a dual kick mic setup for the first time (Sennheiser E602 + Beta 91a) and it was pretty awesome. I didn't have much time to sound check so i just used my standard eq settings (boost on 50db, cut at 800hz and boosting 1k and 6k) on the two mics and i really liked the tones i was getting.

Nice bro, when you get a chance, try experimenting with your EQ and processing of each kick mic independently. You can pretty easily use and treat the different response characteristics of the PZM and the dynamic differently to create some cool sounds.

Nice bro, when you get a chance, try experimenting with your EQ and processing of each kick mic independently. You can pretty easily use and treat the different response characteristics of the PZM and the dynamic differently to create some cool sounds.
Thanks man, do you have any tips or tricks for some cool things?

I really like the guitar sound on the Dying Fetus video. Heavy, crunchy and good definition. Are they using triggers for the kicksound?

Thanks man, do you have any tips or tricks for some cool things?

I really like the guitar sound on the Dying Fetus video. Heavy, crunchy and good definition. Are they using triggers for the kicksound?

Thanks man. I just used my regular Sennheiser 906/903 combo. Yeah, triggers on kick. All other drums are natural. The kick sample was interesting - not a lot of body or balls to it, but sounded good in the faster stuff.

I'm planning to install a new analog multicable system in my club this summer, and i was wondering ... what are the standards in America?

Here in the netherlands everything is pretty much Harting 108 from Stagebox to FOH or monitor split. Stageboxes on stage are mostly socapex or LK connectors.

Alright, what are your opinions on "direct outs" on bass amplifiers?
I've had so many problems with using those things (low output, humming or buzzing, groundloops, shitty sound) that i highly prefer to never use those things again and always go with a decent DI before the input.

Is it just bad luck that 75% of the bass players i meet are using defect/shitty gear, or are you guys experiencing the same issue?

It's a known fact that 99% of bass players actually don't own any gear, so they are probably using the guitarist or singer's gear, which isn't typically up to par.

But yes, always keep around DI for bass.