Living with Nihilism

I'm an antinatalist or pessimist or whatever you'd call it so my plan is to just goof around for a while doing whatever, causing minimal harm to others ideally, and then die childless. Although a negative outlook it doesn't give me much grief on a daily basis as long as I keep myself occupied with various projects and exercise. It's relieving in a way, to have no real obligations, no stake in the future of mankind beyond my own lifespan, no sense that any memory of anything I've said or done will persist for very long even if I end up writing some stupid book that five people read or some shit like that.

Cool thread btw, I enjoyed reading all your responses.

Last edited:
I value not being mercilessly and brutally tortured. I'm sure you and everyone else here does too. is this not objective? my instinct not to feel pain precedes my value but it also is essential in creating that value, can my biological instinct be a sort of value system? a system that gives me purpose and meaning?

um, what if we call "I" and "We" Being and say isn't Being enough to make pain an objective thingy. ok I'm just being silly now bye

I think pain and suffering are powerful motivators for sure; but you only need one outlier to overturn objectivity, and there are people out there who enjoy being tortured, in a variety of contexts and to varying extremes.

Yeah, the entire devaluation of subjectivity is as problematic as the supreme elevation of it. It's useful and yes even necessary for us in some aspects. This is close to the same response that I have towards charges of "such and such is merely a "construction". Well sure. And? We construct many a thing, both material and immaterial. That tells you little to nothing about it other than that it isn't "not constructed". It's basically another form of the "natural fallacy" in how it is used.

a6734bbaf2baf10b1f3f97684a3cb22f9d21815448d68c987ef659f21057a19d.jpg

I remind myself that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value. This is because value is something we produce, subjectively and collectively; and in that sense, it is most certainly real.
I find it quite burdensome to be responsible for producing my own value. Since none of the value I produce is objective, it usually depends entirely on my fickle emotions for its survival, and it therefore erodes over time as my emotions evolve.

I am a fan of many forms of collectively defined value (the American Dream, technological progress, the conventions of female beauty projected by the media, etc), and I'm pretty sure I get more motivation in life from these than from my own ideas of value. I'm honestly amazed at how effectively society's institutions can motivate people with these ideologies.

There are times when I wish they could brainwash me as well as they have most other people, but I know the world needs a few independent thinkers to keep things grounded, and I might as well take satisfaction in being a member of that "elite" minority, despite the suffering it involves.

i am extremely familiar with the impulse to stubbornly reject conventional perspectives/practices at the expense of happiness. was like that as a kid and i've never rly grown up so

I used to have a more nihilistic perspective (think dude biking through space with sunglasses saying nothing matters) but the last few years I just really look forward to death so I'll know for sure.

The meaning of life is generally to give life meaning, Ein is on mark there. But any meaning me or we could devise does seem a completely human construct devoid of actual substance.

Death will prove something for us all. Probably nothing, but fuck, we're only mortal. I refuse to take a stance with my feeble human mind, even when it's freshly packed of all the stupid philosophies and sciences that seem most likely.

Sweet fucking death. There's a difference between being suicidal and skipping through life happily approaching the end. The answer. Light another cigarette and hope to get cancer.

Reactions: Baroque
There are times when I wish they could brainwash me as well as they have most other people, but I know the world needs a few independent thinkers to keep things grounded, and I might as well take satisfaction in being a member of that "elite" minority, despite the suffering it involves.

"Thinking has interests that do not coincide with those of living."

http://apparitionsof.blogspot.com/2010/12/introduction-to-nihil-unbound.html

We can't see nihilism as a "problem" that needs to be solved, and even a "problem that can't be solved" as we eternally sulk in despair at the obvious connotation belonging to nihilism. We are to take the concept of nihilism as something much deeper than "happy being sad." It is neither an existential problem nor a psychological problem which basically mean the same things. We have an intellectual opportunity to see things exactly how they are without seeing them "as is," and "for us." This thinking will not know whether it coincides with the benefit of man. It will not know whether it coincides with anything.

I believe that life is a pointless existence and it's completely batshit how were even alive. Yet one thing I do know, it's better than existing in a third world country scraping along to survive having no time to sit around and think about woe is me but how you're gonna afford the next meal, too busy surviving.

Just my thoughts on nihilism and how I overcame the depression that it sort of brought on.

I used to be super into nihilism but then realised like, all I was doing was sitting around being depressed about it the further I dug into it, never did anything and stayed indoors all the time because my life sucked devoid of any meaning or anything positive to DO because I chose to give myself no meaning. I mainly was just negative all the time which fucks with your mental health too which doesn't help at all.

I think the most logical course of action to do in life is enjoy yourself but be responsible about it, not like some weak person that can't go without some kind of crutch: alcohol/drugs/whatevs cause that just brings more problems than it's worth later on.

There are SO many positive and awesome things you can do in this short existence which can help others who don't have existential problems : IE personal favorite of mine is exposing sociopaths/psychopaths and helping people out of their mind games. Defeating one cunt at a time at their own game and make them acknowledge they have a mental disorder that needs sorting out. I do a lot more than that like helping people get mentally better but that was an example.

Helping others to help yourself - in a roundabout way it's kinda selfish cause you're only doing it to help yourself but it helps both parties involved. It helps me because I feel and think like I have purpose, responsibility and most important of all - something to DO that's good and benefits everyone involved. Gotta get those endorphins going in a positive way somehow. You kinda just know it's all pointless and stupid but even so, you can be pointless and stupid with a purpose of your own.

Nihilism is good to realise you're only here for a short time as a wake up call but beyond that it doesn't really do you any favors except let existential crisis thoughts seep in. That all ate away at me then I met a friend and she pretty much taught me to become a sensualist and that pretty much kicked the severe nihilism depression in the dick the more and more I built up doing sensualist stuff and feeling good for it. I know that we are still pointless bio-robots that do things at random but at least I'm a pointless bio-robot with something positive to do at random and feel good about it. :rofl:

No one knows what death entails, it likely is just nothingness but if you sit around waiting to die all the time you just bring on mental sickness, and you waste your existence on pondering it instead of trying to enjoy it. If you're lucky to get an existence then do something with it imo, rather than just wait for it to end cause when you're at the end it's very common that people regret not doing stuff. I thought about this a while ago and kinda came to the conclusion that if I wasted my life just waiting for the end, I'd just regret it near the end, or years down the line wishing I'd done something with myself, in a way I sorta thought like that's kinda like torturing the older version of myself who will likely be near enough a different person by then.

Also not to be a dick or anything but like, a lot of people who I knew who used to be depressed with this usually ended up being depressed because they had no boyfriend or girlfriend, or their jobs suck etc - it does happen and these are shit situations of course but they're not solved by turning to the universe, they're solved by you learning how to fix the problems.

I know a lot of really deep nihilistic people won't appreciate what I said but I'm literally just explaining how I got myself out of that very strong bout of nihilistic depression so I can have fun again, stop taking everything ridiculously seriously and laugh like I used to, and if my post even slightly helps someone then that's awesome.

I'll always acknowledge it though, it won't ever go away but if you can learn to live with it well, then life is actually okay. Also near death experiences help give you a kick up the arse, but I don't recommend that lol

i actually eat an absolute shitload of pasta and am pretty happy with life so you may be onto something

edit: actually i guess the kinds of people who eat loads of pasta are the kinds of people too lazy to make proper food and generally lacking in ambitions or standards, which is also a recipe for happiness

I can't cycle without carbs and my go to is pasta so yeah, pasta is boss.
those uhhh.. fuck i forgot the name but like it's pasta with ricotta cheese and spinach in the middle and it's the best shit ever, get on it.

I recently got into eating pasta (penne alla vodka is otherworldly), but rice is my shit.

Fried rice, curry rice, vegetable rice.... sooo good.

Reactions: CiG
I eat a lot of rice. I kind of attribute it to working with Mexican and Lao every day for the past two years. I'm a sucker for a couple fistfuls of sticky rice and hot sauce, gotta admit.

@Lunella curry rice for sure! I made curry udon noodles this week. you can literally put that shit in everything. Need a rice maker, but too lazy to look it up a good one. my mom makes bomb ass coconut milk rice and peas. im sure it's the same with pasta, but you can get super creative with rice.

Reactions: Lunella