8. Voyeur (I'm Watching You)

9. Visions

Label: Metal Blade Records
Release date: 1987
Artist site:
http://www.lizzyborden.com/
GRADE:
9/10

Back in the '80s, the LA scene produced some "interesting" bands, and from the school of Alice Cooper, yet before Marilyn Manson came LIZZY BORDEN. An over the top, shock rock metal act, yet more akin to QUEENSRYCHE musically. Their video for "Me Against the World" was a Headbanger's Ball staple for a bit. Lizzy Borden (the vocalist) sported a wild set of hair that looked like a fried brillo pad, and carried an axe around the stage, a very theatrical performer.

Visual Lies' album cover features Lizzy coming through a busted up old TV set. He's spray painted silver, even his teeth! And remember, this was before the days of computer animated graphics, this is the real deal! They even played a trick of the eye/mind on the listener. "Stare at the "eye" in the Lizzy Borden logo on the cover for 20 seconds and then gaze/blink immediately onto a white surface - logo will appear Red and Blue instead of Green and Yellow - "A Visual Lie."

If you want to hear why Ozzy picked Joe Holmes to replace Zakk Wylde a few years back, pick up this album. If I'm not mistaken, this was his first big break into the music scene. Plus, you get to hear his playing and not what some producer/manager told him to play. One of the best guitar albums of the 80s. Throw in the superbly catchy vocal melodies of Lizzy, and you've got one of metal's most often overlooked gems.

The first three tracks are so well crafted that I often wonder how they didn't make more of an impact on hard rock radio back in the day. By the time "Den Of Thieves" rolls around, double bass pounding and guitars riffing away, if you aren't already sold your pulse should be checked. The title track is a pseudo ballad and even though the chorus is only two words, the way he sings them sticks to the brain; pure ear candy.

The highlight of the album though, for me at least, is "Lord of the Flies," based on the story of the same name. Every piece of the song is pristine. Riffs, verses, bridge, chorus, solos, all are here and in perfect arrangement. Another release I keep waiting for Metal Blade to remaster and repackage, as Max Normann did an incredible job with the whole thing.

Visual Lies would be the last release to feature the band, as Lizzy himself would release a "solo" concept album under his name a couple of years later called Master of Disguise. A great album, for different reasons, but there was something lost without the magic of the band. Granted, half of the guys still participated on the album, it just wasn't considered or marketed a band effort.

Visual Lies is definitely the band at the height of their creative output.

PJ