LOL - The Jesus Metal Explosion.

As much as I chortle at people taking up religion in modern times, I can't really say anything derogatory regarding the lyrics considering I'm digging the new Amon Amarth album. I do think though that Norse mythology lends itself far, far better to heavy metal than Christianity does. I think if they didn't beat the listener over the head with their blatant message so much, and integrated it into more of a narrative, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I think I have to be the most offensive person you know, yet you still laugh at my jokes, haha, it amazes me.

Only the funny ones. It's a lower percentage of the overall than you think. I just don't comment on your offensive, non-funny jokes :D

I do think though that Norse mythology lends itself far, far better to heavy metal than Christianity does. I think if they didn't beat the listener over the head with their blatant message so much, and integrated it into more of a narrative, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

As a Christian metal fan, I will totally agree with this. The subject does not lend itself easily to metal and that's why many of the bands have cheesy lyrics. Theocracy, IMO, has done an amazing job of not falling into that trap and having non-cheesy lyrics and excellent narrative.

I do think though that Norse mythology lends itself far, far better to heavy metal than Christianity does. I think if they didn't beat the listener over the head with their blatant message so much, and integrated it into more of a narrative, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I dissagree. Think of all the songs about the Crusades! Blind Guardian did a few and they're all gold.

And there is nothing more metal than the Crusades.. all the torture, the burning, pillaging, destroying...

As a Christian metal fan, I will totally agree with this. The subject does not lend itself easily to metal and that's why many of the bands have cheesy lyrics. Theocracy, IMO, has done an amazing job of not falling into that trap and having non-cheesy lyrics and excellent narrative.
I disagree. Despite my feelings about the bible as an atheist, the bible is a perfectly ripe source for lyrical inspiration. There's any number or dark and poetic themes contained within.

There's any number or dark and poetic themes contained within.

Exactly. People just focus on the wrong thing; the love and acceptance and blah blah blah... but The Old Testament was home to a much less forgiving God. He f'ing drowned a bazillion people, just to make a point!

Unless you're, say, the ones BEING Tortured, Burned, Pillaged, and Destroyed.

PPPPFTTTT. Details...

And just to be clear, I'm 1/2 Native Central American, 1/2 Spanish. My mom's ancestors tortured and enslaved my dad's, so I really need to have a sense of humor about this or it would drive me insane.

I dissagree. Think of all the songs about the Crusades! Blind Guardian did a few and they're all gold.

And there is nothing more metal than the Crusades.. all the torture, the burning, pillaging, destroying...

There is nothing metal whatsoever about the crusades, sorry. Nor is there anything really "metal" in Judeo-Christianity. I'm not trying to insult believers with that statement, but it's too vanilla for it to be metal. It's like saying Islam is metal because the Koran can be brutal. Well sure, but the fact is the masses are either muslim or christian and metal is about opposition to that. Not to say in terms of internal belief, but about band image. It's about escaping the cultural normative, not embracing it. How many of us listen to Mercyful Fate and actually turn around and worship the devil? Not a whole lot. In fact, I'm sure alot of good Christians spin 'em all the time.

That being said, some Christian bands I dig:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_RYafF2zU0&feature=related[/ame]

pit riffment 4 christ.

I don't like what this band did after this CD, but I will always love their debut as just a solid example of well done brutal slamz for the modern age. I never cared that they were Christian.

There are a few other good Christian metal bands too:

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. People just focus on the wrong thing; the love and acceptance and blah blah blah... but The Old Testament was home to a much less forgiving God. He f'ing drowned a bazillion people, just to make a point!

Those are stories without much in the way of historical evidence, whereas you're previous example of the Crusades DID occur, and weren't really good for anyone (except, bizarrely, the Muslims)

There is nothing metal whatsoever about the crusades, sorry.

Nothing metal about knights riding out to do battle to the death? With people's heads on pikes? With hundreds of years worth of violence and bloodshed over religious power? Come on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nor is there anything really "metal" in Judeo-Christianity. I'm not trying to insult believers with that statement, but it's too vanilla for it to be metal.

I dissagree. There is a lot of brutality in the Old Testament that could be used, but the New Testament kinda turned back on it with the whole peace and love thing.

I mean.. God asked Abraham to kill his son, just to test him. And dude was about to do it. That's pretty brutal, to me.

Exactly. People just focus on the wrong thing; the love and acceptance and blah blah blah... but The Old Testament was home to a much less forgiving God.
And even the New Testament, which is often painted as being a book of love and forgiveness, has quite the dark side. I don't remember the numbers, but I believe Jesus mentions damnation than he does salvation. And he wasn't against using lines like, "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:27

And even the New Testament, which is often painted as being a book of love and forgiveness, has quite the dark side. I don't remember the numbers, but I believe Jesus mentions damnation than he does salvation. And he wasn't against using lines like, "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:27

Well, that can be debated. Technically, the much spoken-of "Christian hell" doesn't exist, if you're a Christian. It's really just supposed to be "a place without god", or, oblivion. But that's another story, entirely!

Nor is there anything really "metal" in Judeo-Christianity. I'm not trying to insult believers with that statement, but it's too vanilla for it to be metal.

If Vikings plundering, pillaging and raping is metal, so are the Jews of the old testament. The Book of Deuteronomy in particular has some pretty gory war stories. Judith has got to be the original metal chick model. That girl cut some dude's head off after having her way with him. That's not metal? To me it's more metal than our current dear old Daniel having simulated sex in fake blood and singing about his pain. BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION. :D

I dissagree. There is a lot of brutality in the Old Testament that could be used, but the New Testament kinda turned back on it with the whole peace and love thing.

I mean.. God asked Abraham to kill his son, just to test him. And dude was about to do it. That's pretty brutal, to me.

It sounds more like you trying to reconcile the bible as metal rather than just allowing metal to be metal. We both know full well that the canon of metal is about rebellion from the normative culture. It is contrarianist. If you are a believer, it doesn't mean you should or have to give that up to listen to metal though, so why you feel the need to reconcile the two is kind of strange. It's just art, why can't it be appreciated for what it is? I mean, some of the greatest modernist writers in English literature were racists and anti semites, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the art without having to reconcile it somehow so that it fits into my 21st century mindset that all people are equal etc.

Judith has got to be the original metal chick model. That girl cut some dude's head off after having her way with him. That's not metal? To me it's more metal than our current dear old Daniel having simulating sex in fake blood and singing about his pain. BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION. :D

Totally agreed! Judith was a bad-ass!