Long Beach Security is the BEST!!!

SpiderDan13

Oct 28, 2004
*sigh*

It really doesn't require a college degree to work venue security, does it? I got my meet and greet pass for the CDC Meet & Greet and, like I've heard, I went over to the backstage entrance after Anthrax was finished. Myself, two cool cats from Australia (Josh & Monika) and a CDC'er named Charlie. We were greeted by what Henry Rollins would call a trogledite. 300lbs of pure bitterness.

Trog: "Those passes are for after the show."
Dan: "These are actually supposed to be for the Anthrax Meet & Greet."
Trog: "Well that will be after the show."
Dan: "After the entire show... completely at the end... once everybody is done playing?"
Trog: "Yes... now leave."

Okay, fair enough. I know venue rules differ and setups may be different. So I have to watch Zombie and Priest in full... oh yeah... go twist my arm on that one. Priest finishes and we head back...

Dan: "Hi! We're back again!"
Trog: "Those passes aren't good anymore."
Dan: "What do you mean they're no good... you specifically told us that they were for after the show."
Trog: "They changed the rules."

At this point she has a chart of all the passes in her hand, which I ask to see... and, low and behold, the explicit rules on the sheet for our pass say "After Anthrax show only." I shot off a sarcastic remark or two, one thanking her for wasting my time, and went home with my I Am the Law 12" and Sound of White Noise 12" still unsigned. Oh well.

Thanks to the CDC for at least getting me the pass. I know that they have no control over the idiots that work venue security. Maybe next time, I guess.

So, Mr. Wu... Josh and Monika from Brisbane Australia send their regards... they really wanted to see you but, like me, were shut out. They were very appreciative of you guys hooking them up with passes and are bummed they couldn't thank you.

DarbysDad said:
Glad I didn't sign up for the meet and greet.

Spider how was the Priest set?
It was Priest. :headbang: 'nuff said

Though, in my opinion, Anthrax ripped it up better than any of the bands who played. Maybe I'm biased. ;)

Man, that sucks! It always sucks to hear that security pulled something like that! Honestly, "They changed the rules?" Like fuck they did! It sounds like she didn't know what she was doing. Where did that chart "magically" appear from?

I'm glad you had a great time, regarless, though! :D

SpiderDan13 said:
It was Priest. :headbang: 'nuff said

Though, in my opinion, Anthrax ripped it up better than any of the bands who played. Maybe I'm biased. ;)
Thanks dude I get biased too :D

Bummed I missed Priest's set but fuck it felt good to see Anthrax no matter who the hell was singing.

LuvataciousSkull said:
Where did that chart "magically" appear from?
Considering how, *ahem*, large she was... I'm not sure I want to know where the chart came from. ;)

But, yeah... a completely inept staff of security. "They changed the rules halfway through the first act." Well, considering I came after the first act finished, you're feeding me a line of bullshit that I'm frankly too tired to argue about... and it's not like arguing will have gotten me anywhere.

Oh well... Anthrax was great... not as good as when I saw them in February at the Dimebag show, but it was a great show nonetheless.

Similar experience here as well. I only got one pass, which was a bummer since obviously I wasn't going to go to the concert by myself.

Found a higher up from the Arena who told me to come back after Anthrax's set was over and look for her in the lobby so she could help me get another pass.

After an hour of searching, she shows up and says no worries, wait until after the entire show is over and she can try and help me. I said that I was told the meet and greet was not after the entire show, but should be happening sometime during the next acts set. She said no, come back after Judas Priest is done and she will try and help.

I was so jacked up to meet Anthrax, it was a bummer not to get back there!

Sounds like no one got in.

Sleestak

Security was ridiculous there. I was personally thrown out of the backstage area twice and I had an Access All Areas Priest laminate. Our tour manager had to tell them so many times that they were fucked.

Mr. Wu said:
Security was ridiculous there. I was personally thrown out of the backstage area twice and I had an Access All Areas Priest laminate. Our tour manager had to tell them so many times that they were fucked.
Oh, that is fucking awesome!!! Glad security allowed us all to have a spectacular time.

Well, Wu... at least you guys fucking ripped on stage... and for that, I thank you up and down. My White Noise 12" can wait another couple months for some Sharpie marks. :)

Cheers...

Mr. Wu said:
Great fucking set. My son's first gig and you broke out Dime's guitar on I am the Law - thank you very much :headbang: and thanks for making us get up our of our seats. :loco:

SpiderDan13 said:
*sigh*
Thanks to the CDC for at least getting me the pass. I know that they have no control over the idiots that work venue security. Maybe next time, I guess.
What!?! The fuck they don't. They HAVE to be fully aware by now about the shitty meet and greet problems... they obviously don't give a Horses Cock or that problem would be fixed by now.
We all know about it, don't tell me they are oblivious or helpless. At this point... that problem lies completely on the shoulders of the band and nobody else.

Mr. Wu said:

That´s bad I know, but reading this made me laugh.

DumbAss said:
What!?! The fuck they don't. They HAVE to be fully aware by now about the shitty meet and greet problems... they obviously don't give a Horses Cock or that problem would be fixed by now.
We all know about it, don't tell me they are oblivious or helpless. At this point... that problem lies completely on the shoulders of the band and nobody else.

I'm not so certain about this one - I think that most places have their own security in place, and the band doesn't have terribly much control over who gets hired (outside of anyone working security for the band themselves) and placed throughout the venue.

In my time of covering concerts, I'm fortunate that I never dealt with an asshole security guard, but I have dealt with some who didn't know jackshit about passes, meet and greet, etc. In that regard, there had to be some breakdown of communication between the band, venue management and security. I'm not nailing 'Thrax on this one - the meet-and-greet for the show I went to was cancelled, but this was the night that Danny had severe guitar problems in Chicago (and, if I heard right, the guitar tech was fired), so I really couldn't blame them. This kind of confusion happened to me at a few shows for different bands in different genres, so it's not just the metal scene. (It did seem to happen a lot at the House Of Blues, though.)

I'm not sticking up for the mouth-breather that SpiderDan had to deal with, but maybe the fact that Wu got the same kind of treatment will mean that shit's gonna change soon.

dailyvault said:
I'm not so certain about this one - I think that most places have their own security in place, and the band doesn't have terribly much control over who gets hired (outside of anyone working security for the band themselves) and placed throughout the venue.

In my time of covering concerts, I'm fortunate that I never dealt with an asshole security guard, but I have dealt with some who didn't know jackshit about passes, meet and greet, etc. In that regard, there had to be some breakdown of communication between the band, venue management and security. I'm not nailing 'Thrax on this one - the meet-and-greet for the show I went to was cancelled, but this was the night that Danny had severe guitar problems in Chicago (and, if I heard right, the guitar tech was fired), so I really couldn't blame them. This kind of confusion happened to me at a few shows for different bands in different genres, so it's not just the metal scene. (It did seem to happen a lot at the House Of Blues, though.)

I'm not sticking up for the mouth-breather that SpiderDan had to deal with, but maybe the fact that Wu got the same kind of treatment will mean that shit's gonna change soon.

Here here!

I remember I got a cloth All-Access Pass for a Megadeth show once, and the Venue Sceurity really gave me a run-around most of the night. I doubt that they know what is going on with Meet & Greet's for most of these bands, and I don't think security is ever adequitley informed on them. It's not entirely the CDC's fault; if anything, the venue's should get everything together before-hand. Maybe it could be the CDC not giving them the info ahead of time?