Long Distance Calling w/Jonas

True as long as he does not continue to do that little melisma ( singing that little phrase of notes over one word - as in unfurl - or similar to My Twin) in every song.

That is exactly what I loved about TGCD. Before as a vocalist, Jonas never impressed me nor grabbed my interest. Then I heard "My Twin" a few years later and was blown away by how haunting he made the vocals. I don't know shit about the technical terms of music but I am pretty sure what you are describing is exactly what I loved.

This is my post and how I worded it on the Lacuna Coil forum trying to explain it to some other fans:
"What I loved so much about TGCD is how he would be saying a word and carry the notes down and back up. In "My Twin", he says "I thought that you had grown"...when he says "grown", it's beautiful. He does it again in the next line "Now that I am gone"...when he gets to "gone" and sings like that, I get chills. Same thing three lines in on the next verse: "It feels like fire"...when he says "fire", I just love that vocal technique he is using (whatever it is). It sounds creepy, full of despair but yet it's so beautiful sounding. It almost has an "eastern religion" type flavor to it. See how bad I am at describing this stuff because I don't know the correct vocal terms? lol

One other example right off hand is in "July" when the opening line is going, he says "and no voice of reason", the way he carries his voice down on the word "of" is just amazing to me. At the chorus he does it again: "if only you could stay..." the way he sings "stay" makes the whole song for me. I never heard any of those type of vocals on VIVA EMPTINESS or any of their previous albums and so I am very much hoping that they will return on NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY."

So I am assuming that is what you were describing? At least now I will remember the term.
Jack

Sorry for the double post. But yes, I looked up the meaning of "melisma" and it described it in detail and mentioned how it is used in Gregorian chant (which I also love and have CDs of). I had no idea that was the term I was looking for. Hopefully now when I describe it in the future I won't sound like such a clueless schmuck. :p So it goes without saying that I definitely hope Jonas will continue using melisma in the future.

Now onto this song, I absolutely love it! I have to agree with what a few other people mentioned though about the vocals being too low in the mix. I can't understand what he is saying in most of the song which is a shame. But the song would be near perfect if they just turned up the vocals.
Jack

I was searching for the lyrics for this beautiful song and saw that the band have published the lyrics this month. Lyrics are sublime and surreal again just as what we expect from Jonas..

Call of the grim
My nearing grave
Earth's cold temple
The turning wave
Trees abide
In the sound of air
Jaded soul
Are you going my way

I came once I heard you sing
I came once I saw you
Your presence within my love
Weight did not bind me

Voice from the mire
The calling head
His mouth of birds
Sound in white rain

Daybreak
Stand clear now
Here come the calm overcoming

Reminds me something of 'Scarlet heavens'.
Jonas should join the band to perform it even on stage during this tour :) Or has he done it already??? 'coz I'm not readin' nothing at all about what you posted about set-list and concerts seen so far, apart the tour diary from Anders... just another couple of weeks and I'll catch 'em live too and it must be a surprise o_O