Looking ahead at albums for 2003...

This was discussed on the Opeth forum, and on the Swano chat transcript saved on the AA forum he explictly states that he no longer had any interest in growling, so there is the possibility that he may just do the clean vocals and have someone else do the growls...of course, things have significantly changed since then. And Jim Raggi replied to a post in which I mentioned the possibility of Akerfeldt being part of this project and said it was unlikely.

Dreamlord said:
I really hope Akerfeldt has no participation on this recording.

I agree. I'd like to see Larson and the rest of the EoS boys involved on this, but we'll see. As for growls, if Dan doesn't want to do them, Dread would do fine.

No matter what though, I'm sure this will be good.

I guess I wouldn't mind if he makes a small contribution like the first Crimson, which was a few guitar solos, and a few vocal lines, but nothing major. But I will be very dissappointed in Dan if Akerfeldt has major hold on how this album is written. i do not want any Opeth influence. I want EoS

Dreamlord said:
I guess I wouldn't mind if he makes a small contribution like the first Crimson, which was a few guitar solos, and a few vocal lines, but nothing major. But I will be very dissappointed in Dan if Akerfeldt has major hold on how this album is written. i do not want any Opeth influence. I want EoS

Right. Wasn't that how the first Crimson was written (without leaning towards the Opeth influence)?

More than anything, I would like to see Akerfeld come back because I think his vocals are his strong point. And I'm hearing things like Swano not wanting to do the death stuff anymore so he'll leverage others around him instead...Akerfeld wouldn't be a bad choice for that I guess.

I would rather he not lean on Akerfeldt for the death vocals. Akerfeldt's death vocals are going into overkill lately with Opeth and Bloodbath.

I would prefer Dan do them, and I remember reading something that he might do them again.

Dreamlord said:
Akerfeldt's death vocals are going into overkill lately with Opeth and Bloodbath.

You mean, 'overkill' as too much or too over the top? Akerfeld has one of the few death vocal styles that I can stomach for an entire listening session. Otherwise my mind just shuts off from the monotony.

I guess I'm not the only one that thinks Mikael is somewhat overused. A certain Dan Swano agrees:

"I will not use Mike of two reasons:

He costs money (His label knows his value...it's fine by me, but I don't pay for musicians)
He's in Bloodbath (I have had enough of his voice, in a very positive way..I have already "done" my stuff with Mike on Ressurection TC. I have no other wished with my music and his (growling) voice. It'd be nice to do a duet with him using our clean vocals one day..maybe for Nightingale??)"

Dan

No, I have not heard Damnation, and really have no desire to.

I really don't know which albums are coming out this year. However, here's two that I can think of right now:

Blazing Eternity - A World To Drown In
- their debut was a really cool mix of a few different styles, but mainly doom. They've dropped the harsh vocals on this new album though, and seem to have taken a totally different approach, but it's still kinda doomy, and the one song I've heard is awesome.

Estatic Fear - Untitles so far
- it's ridiculous this band isn't well known. Nobody has heard of them, but their bringing out their 3rd album later this year. Very original, again kind of doomy band. Very beautiful music.

I'm getting the new Elend album in the next week, which should be interesting.

Doom said:
Blazing Eternity - A World To Drown In
- their debut was a really cool mix of a few different styles, but mainly doom. They've dropped the harsh vocals on this new album though, and seem to have taken a totally different approach, but it's still kinda doomy, and the one song I've heard is awesome.

How is "Times and Unknown Waters"?

JayKeeley said:
How is "Times and Unknown Waters"?

It's good. Nothing amazing, but very solid anyway. Kind of depressing metal. I think the new one will be better though, I know it's available for download on the Prophecy "MP3" page if you want to take a look, along with a whole load of other cool samples. If you do, check out Naervaer as well :)

So...I just thought I'd resurrect this thread, since it was an interesting conversation. Has anyone's opinions changed? Some of the albums have come out already; did they live up to expectations? What say you?

Into Eternity
(based on what I found out in my interview with them last night)
NightRage featuring Jensen (Haunted), Englund (Evergrey), Lindberg (At the Gates), Gus G (Dream Evil), Iliopoulos (Exhumation)
Sepultura - Roorback
Iced Earth - Glorious Burden

Still waiting on this lot.

Otherwise, I'm bored with Damnation already. Def my least fave Opeth album.

And the Metallica album...well well, my oh my. I'm not even going to download this.