Looking at new amps for death metal

Anyone experienced an engl fireball 100w? They sound fucking awesome for death metal from what ive seen on the net, although not sure about the cleans
The owned of Axe Palace (an Engl dealer) in Boston posts on another site (sevenstring.org) and seems to rate the Fireball 100 as the best tube amp going for death metal, even above the Savage and Powerball. I'm undecided since I've never played a Fireball, but in clips it seems like a great technical amp, but if you're after a beefy, monster of a tone like me, I'm not sure if it's really the best option. Being in front of an amp, and an online recording can be completely different though.

Thanks for the input dudes! I have sold the mesa mark 3 as of today, and pick up my peavey 6505 on wednesday! I will keep you guys posted as to how i like/dislike the amp.

Peavey's a good one. It's not gonna blow your mind but it's damn solid and versatile (for metal, anyhow). I have no regrets about buying mine.

You should be pleased with the 6505. First order of business will be to crank the presence knob. So many people say they can't get a good, thick sound from a 6505, and this normally puts it into a whole other world.

Got my 6505 this afternoon. As expected its exactly what i want. The thing is a gain monster and perfect for death metal, it takes a good amount of mids while still sounding brutal too. I havent had a chance to really open it up hard, but im really really impressed with its tone at lower volumes. My mesa didnt like the low volume stuff, but this seems to be fine with it. The clean channel is good too, i hear people bitching about the cleans, but im really happy. I am still undecided whether to use my modded boss sd-1 on the dirty channel, i have tried it out and it adds a good amount of harmonic pickup, but the 6505 doesnt NEED it. Its bottom end is already tight also. Anyone else use od pedals or tube screamers on the 6505s?

I stick my tube screamer at the front of my 6505+, I like the way it sounds with it. It does tighten it up ever so slightly, you don't need to if you don't want to of course.

I use mine the way it is also because my soloing channel is my crunch channel (which I switch via the footswitch) which is EQed slightly different to the riffing channel, so it cuts through a little bit more. The tubescreamer (which is constantly turned on) gives me the extra saturation, compression and volume.

Grats on the buy dude, I'm glad you aren't disappointed with it. Fucking good amps.

Cheers for the advice and the help man. I will probably just keep the sd-1 on, i thought it did ever so slightly tighten up the bottom also, and it still gets a good clean tone. Originally i was going to use it in the fx loop for a solo boost, but it was way too much volume. Will probably just get a chorus peadal and eq pedal (boost mids) to go with the delay to thicken it up for solo's. Fucking loving this amp!

Engl amps typically have way too much low end for their own good and don't handle the top end that well. Exception to this rule = the Blackmore amp.

My picks for metal: Hughes & Kettner!! The Trilogy (which I own) is absolutely balls-out amazing. It's tight and aggressive, clean as can be, and looks sexy as well. The Triamp Mk II is their flagship model and it covers damn near any genre of music you can imagine. If you are wanting the outrageous low-end death metal thing, check out their Warp X. It has all the low end and gain you can imagine before you even hit the 12 o'clock mark, it's articulate, still has an amazing clean channel, and last but not least, glows RED! Yeah, you read that correctly. ;)

Well since I didn't realize there was a second page and you already made your choice, good for you! You just rendered my previous post moot. Whatever. I said my peace. Those that visit this thread later on can check out the majesty that is Hughes & Kettner.

So since you got your 6505, I have two things to say to you that will make you never look back:

1. Set the EQ, Presence, Resonance, and Pre Gain at 6. Post Gain to taste depending on surroundings.
2. Find either a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal or a 482i Sonic Maximizer (if you're into rack gear). Put it into the effects loop of your amp. Set dials to 12 o'clock and turn on.

You're welcome. ;)

I can get a pretty goddam brutal tone out of a Peavey Delta Blues. :yow: Here's how I do it:

Take one of these:
peavey-delta-blues-115.jpg

Add to it one of these:
HardWireTL2MetalDistortionPedal.jpg

The Hardwire is on the Tight mode, for thrash and what have you. There's a lot of gain and it's ultra tight for chug and palm muting and such. And because the Peavey has a 15" speaker it has arse-damaging low end and I can use it for bass too. It's brilliant!

Et voila! That's what I'm doing and it sounds great. I shall post a video some time. :devil: