Looking for a compact midi keyboard...

NoSoup4you22

Keep on blorpin'
Feb 16, 2010
Minnesota, USA
www.myspace.com
I'm doing some rearranging in my room, and I really want to get a setup where my keyboard is always hooked up to my computer, rather than having to go over to the keyboard stand... I've got a desk with a sliding shelf for a computer keyboard, so I figured I'd just get a MIDI controller that fits on that.

Requirements I have:

-Must not be longer than about 72cm/28 inches. (3 octaves ideally, but these are hard to find)
-Must not be taller than about 12cm/3 or 4 inches.
-Must have at least a pitch wheel, if not a pitch wheel and a mod wheel.
-Definitely needs velocity, maybe aftertouch
-I would like it to have a MIDI out and not just USB, if they make any like that...

Some of these factors make me think the ideal keyboard might not even be out there, lol. My other option would be to try to build a custom desk to fit my 64 key. What do you recommend?

3 octaves are hard to find. The only one that I can remember is the Line6 KB37: http://line6.com/podstudiokb37/

From M-Audio there´s the cheap, classic and ugly Oxygen 25 http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen25.html that gets the job done

And the overpriced Axiom http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom25New.html, which my friend has and I don´t think it justifies the huge difference in price.

I´ve always liked AKAI products, and the MPK25 might be what you need (it has MIDI In and Out): http://www.akaipro.com/mpk25
I don´t own it but it looks very solid.

^The MPK25 looks awesome, I'll see if I can find one for a decent price. I don't really need more knobs than the pitch/mod wheels already offer, but the pads and MIDI out are nice. The latency I get on USB keyboards is just too much for fast passages.

Anything cheaper out there with pitch/mod and MIDI out?

i have the new Axiom Advanced and i don't think it's THAT overpriced. (got it used for half the price of a new but bear with me) i find the build quality quite good, the feel nice and i didn't even know it had aftertouch until i saw it working from the display!

anyway the best thing imo about it is the connectivity. the instrument mode in it is great. all in all, it's made my life easier, in ways i wouldn't have expected. i recommend it if you feel like you need a bit more than just a keyboard

Is the Emu Xboard 25 worth getting?

EMU300big.jpg

20100514131248.jpg

Hmm, I'd sell you my MPK25 for like $165 with the power cable and USB cord f I get a new controller soon. Thing is, I don't know when that will be.

I'm looking for a much bigger keyboard. I've been looking at the M-Audio Axioms. Are there any full 88-key midi controllers that are pretty cheap on the used market? I have only been able to find 61 key controllers :/.

Just curious, what does a keyboard that small do for you? Obviously desk space matters, but I would get so frustrated with that few keys. I'm used to a huge 88-key monster, though haha

I went ahead and ordered the E-Mu Xboard 25... Used, for 50 dollars... Pretty good price I think! Will let you know what I think when it arrives.

Just curious, what does a keyboard that small do for you? Obviously desk space matters, but I would get so frustrated with that few keys. I'm used to a huge 88-key monster, though haha

I'm not Jens Johannson or anything lol, I just want a convenient/more fun way to lay down melodies, pads, strings etc. Most melodies don't stray outside of 2 octaves anyway. What I'm mostly excited about is always having quick access to a keyboard, which could potentially change the way I write music. I'd definitely go for a 64 or 88 key if it fit, but unfortunately this is all I have to work with for space :(

I use my two octaves mostly to preview samplers and synths while I'm tweaking or looking for tones. Also good to come up with melodies or find the right notes for arrangements. Never use it to perform or to actually record, although sometimes I use the pads to record beats. Always have to quantize them after that.