looking for a little advise.

Oct 8, 2007
K.C. (Kansas City)
I have been reading lots on this forum, and have learned heaps about recording metal guitar, and guitar recording in general. I have also read many threads concerning my questions but they only raised more questions for me so I am sorry if this is a redundant thread. I used to work at a music store and have lots of equipment to play with including 12 guitars, Les Pauls to G&L strats, thanks to my 1% commission. I used a large chunk of that to purchase a HD recorder 3 years ago (Boss Br-1600CD). It does ok but since then I have realized I should have gone the computer recording route. I have a modest power mac G4 cube that runs ok @ 500hz w/ 1.5 gig of ram. I am going to purchase a dual G4 tower with my tax refund and am looking for suggestions for recording software and interface, wife permitting that is. :erk: I may be stuck with my current computer for another year if not. I am looking for a middle level software program, cubase-pro tools le, and the like. Can anyone recommend a decent get my feet wet setup for a program and interface for my current situation. One that could possibly run better with a larger computer, but would suffice for my power mac G4 cube? I have been looking at the M-Box package with pro tools le, but I know nothing of any of this. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I know that lots of you guys use macs out there, any known issues with certain software or interfaces that I should avoid? Thanks guys! :headbang:

Whatever you do, make sure the G4 you get accepts more than 2 gb of ram. My quicksilver maxed at 1.5 and that was undoable. I now have 2 gb in my G5 and its NOT a whole lot better. Got 2 more gb on the way, hoping that will be enough.
Your going to want to/need to eventually use MANY plugins plus you may want to/need to get maybe a handful of programs like EZdrummer or DFH superior or symphonic orchestra or choirs or some piano software or drumagog or or or... some of these are heavy on the cpu. Get the most HD space you can get also. You can always get an external drive later but if you're like me, you would want that to be MUCH later. I would say start off with at least 120 GB HD but get more if you can.

I think I read in here recently that cubase sx can have some issues with macs.

I agree with jeffadies

Logic offers a lot, especially for the price. A lot of plug-ins, etc. Pro Tools LE is good, but I would probably recommend Logic Pro 8 if you are looking for something that will save more money. You can do everything you can do in PT with it.

(I use both, by the way)

I checked into Logic Pro 8 and it will take a minimum of 1.25 Ghz, and that would definately take a bigger computer on my part. It does sound nice though and I am leaning towards this option. Plus it's designed by the manufacturer of the same computer I will be purchasing. What could possibly go wrong, lmao j/k. I also was told by a friend in my same boat that he had seen an Alesis io26 firewire interface that comes with Cubase LE. Price is right and gives me both an interface and software. Still I lean towards Logic Pro 8. If I go with the Logic Pro 8 I still need an interface that would accomodate up to 8 inputs for getting drum tracks down. I have heard good stuff about the Focusrite Saphire units but was looking for something a little less expensive. Guess i'll ultimately get what I pay for, however input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! I am also taking into consideration the computer I end up with, thank you for your input Radd!