Looking for a multisampler

guy in latvia

Nov 6, 2013
So, I've been using Reapers reasamplomatic5000 to layer recorded drums with one shot samples, however, recently it occurred to me that I could use many of my own recorded samples, i.e. use different snare or kick hits and make my own drum machine. I know how to make it work with one shots, but I need a suggestion for a plugin that would allow me to create a sampler that can be set to be velocity sensitive and randomize samples within a current velocity (say i have 3 rimshots, 3 hard and 3 medium snare hits) assign them all to the midi note 38 to trigger any of the 3 rimshots at 127, any of the 3 hard hits at 110-126, medium 90-109, etc.

Does that make sense, any ideas?

I'm going to have to look into some tutorials on making my own sample libraries in Kontakt before I commit to spending that much. Any suggestions?

check out Perfect Drums by Naughty Seal Audio.
It is a fairly new virtual drum instrument that has a great sounding stock library but also a very powerful sampler integrated.
you can make your own multisample instruments very easily with this sampler. it's 150$ only, so way cheaper than KONTAKT

I can't for the life of me figure out how to use multiple samples on the same thing with Reasamplomatic5000.

Also, I saw the Perfect Drums clip Ola did, but really all I want to do is build a kit from my own samples.

you can absolutely do that with Perfect Drums, you won't find a better/easier to use sampler for that money and just in case you'll have a killer sounding stock kit available ;)

It will certainly be more complicated to do with Reasamplomatic, but it sure can do it and it's free.
With a bit of searching, you'll find how (I don't use Reaper but I know there are some tutorials out there).

Perfect Drums looks like a pretty cool option.
But you can't dot it with the free player, you have to buy the full version right ?

EDIT : actually, it's explained in the thread I linked. You have to load one sampler per sample, then use the probability setting depending on the number of samples. It's all in Reaper manual too ;)

Last edited:
the probability setting depending on the number of samples

Yeah, this is the part that I don't quite understand how to set up, say I load up 3 samples of a kick each in their own sampler, how do i get it to trigger them at random, instead of giving each one a unique midi note?

It's explained in this post :
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...and-drum-samples.1058601/page-2#post-11236095

1: Add 4 samplers to kick track
2: Sample 1 goes to first sampler, 2 to second......
3: Change "Probability": 25, 33, 50, 100 (1st sampler 25, last 100)......
4: Click to that "Round-robin" box in every sampler
5: And Click to "Remove played notes....." box in samplers 1, 2 and 3

Now, when you play kick note (35 or 36 usually), it doesn't always play that same kick sample, and sounds more realistic.

Then you just have to adjust the "probability" setting for each sample, depending of the number of samples you have in your round robin pool, following this chart :
Calc%2012%20RRs%20Rounded%201.PNG

In your example, it will be 1st sampler 33, 2nd one 50 and 3rd 100.

Reactions: henryjarv
It will be much easier to do that in Short Circuit than Resamplomatic IMO, and its free (though I have not tried it on Windows 7 or 10, so I can't guarantee that it works with these operating systems).

...........Like TRUIE said already, ReaSamplomatic can do all those things.

I try to explain something...

So, you have "3 rimshots, 3 hard and 3 medium snare hits". This means, that you need 3 Samplers.

1: Add "Medium_1"," Hard_1" and "Rimshot_1" to first sampler. (Click that "list" button, and then "Add"). Then you can sort those by Peak, or filename, or whatever, I use Peak almost always.

2: Add "Medium_2"," Hard_2" and "Rimshot_2" to second sampler.

3: Add "Medium_3"," Hard_3" and "Rimshot_3" to third sampler.

4: For all 3 three samplers: "Note start" and "Note end", to whatever you want. For snare usually 38 or 40

5: "Probability" for sampler_1: 33, sampler_2: 50 and sampler_3: 100

6: Click "Round-robin" button in all samplers

7: Click "Remove played notes..." in samplers 1 and 2 (those where "Probability" is 33 and 50"

8: Done.

Reactions: TRUIE
To know how to make it work I suggest to download this hi-detail ReaSamplomatic kit - http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/11/27/deepest-sampled-drum-kit/
It has hidden "back-end" tracks so you need to make them visible in track manager and dissect what's going on.
I can tell you that you can use multi-track WAVs, meaning that all mics are baked into single WAV (close, OH, room).
If I remember right this kit went for velocity count more than roundrobin (shit-ton velocity layers and 2-4 rr)