looking for recommendations

Tbh they peaked with Septic Broiler and then sold out and sucked balls ever since.

The first 3 releases from AtG are indisputably excellent. I also recommend Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter Of The Soul, but a lot of people here have a bizarrely strong hatred of those.

The vocals on Slaughter of the Soul are exxcccceelllennnt... But the only standout tracks are Cold and the instrumental closer, The Flames of the End.

The first 3 releases from AtG are indisputably excellent. I also recommend Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter Of The Soul, but a lot of people here have a bizarrely strong hatred of those.

neither of those albums are *horrible*, i just find the half-arsedness of both really disappointing from a band with such vast talent. i know svensson left, but even so.

god, i love early at the gates. what gorgeously textured, sinister, scything, evocative melodic bliss they used to produce, so astoundingly fluid considering all the complexity, conveying such a vast spectrum of intensely existential moods often with this poetically simple beauty that seems to sit there completely still behind the music's apparent frenetic wildness like the eye of a storm.

it goes beyond the primitive deconstruction of other death metal in many ways (though obviously i love some of that stuff as well), there's a kind of existential desperation, a straining towards transcendental beauty in the face of nature's stark indifference. part of why i love ATG is because they're so VIVID, their stuff's just littered with palpable images, it's not just because of the lyrics (stunningly picturesque as they are at times) but more the internality. it's music for the psyche i think, a patchwork of spiritual journeys 'within' encountering and comfronting the fear and the chaos of metaphysical statues we erect for ourselves, at times teetering on the brink of madness, tragically reaching for a peace and freedom and immortality that isn't a lie.

lindberg is impossible because his rabid shrieks shouldn't contribute to this but they do ineffably, their desperation and stark vulnerability belies our immediate perception of demigodly defiance. nobody else has a vocal tone that can so run the gamut from insanity to ecstasy.

damn, i can honestly say there are several moments on ATG's first two full lengths that move me onto a new plateau, i can't describe how much this band has rewarded me since 'with fear' first graced my ears a few years back, i don't feel like i'll ever come close to really understanding them, let alone doing them justice in words.

but anyway, to go back to my original point, fuck them for selling out.

"i try to focus my mind on it, but something's blocking the way,
one day this city i will reach."

if you haven't got into with fear at all then i seriously recommend giving it more listens, it's such a weird inaccessible album and inconsistent as well but some of it is absolutely incredible once it hits you, easily on par with anything on TRITSIO for me.