Looking for something heavier, need help

Kreated

metal nationalist
Jan 18, 2011
United of states
I need band suggestions in death metal, or blackened death metal, or deathgrind, or something. I don't know much about death metal, so I'm going to describe this in terms of someone coming from a more black metal background. I'm looking for something very very heavy, but without lyrics about nonsensical gore, without blantantly anti-Christian or anti-religious lyrics, and without Christian lyrics (e.g. unblack metal) either. Paganism is fine, e.g. worshipping Odin, but not about pagans killing christians or burning churches. I like songs about things like winter, the night, war, mythology, etc. I do not like power metal, it's way too light and mellow for me. Looking for the opposite of that.

I like the black metal sound, e.g. Immortal, and i'm basically looking for something with sharp crisp production and heavy riffs like on Sons of Northern Darkness, except with faster drumming and deeper vocals (though not necessarily death growls the whole time), and without any slow parts in songs at all. It doesn't really necessarily have to be death metal. Should have some discernable tune as well, nothing too difficult to make out. Maybe something between Amon Amarth, Immortal, and Aborted, but again without anti-christian lyrics or lyrics about eating gall bladders or whatever.

For comparison, Nile doesn't have enough tune to me, and their vocals are almost entirely death growls, and they have still have long slow parts. I like how most of Amon Amarth's vocals aren't really death growls, though they do have some, and that's fine, and I like how they are more followable than Aborted or early raw black metal. But Amon Amarth is a little too melodic. I like their amount of followable-ness, but they're just not... enraged... enough. Should be a little more raw and have a little more bass and be faster. Not stupidly fast though. Carcass is good but I want deeper vocals, no slow parts, more change between different parts of the song (less monotony), and an overall deeper sound and more buildup at the beginning instead of just jumping right in. Bolt Thrower's slow parts are too slow and fast parts are too fast, and their vocals, bass, and changes in tune seem lacking. Don't mean to offend, I'm just looking for something very particular here. Behemoth (e.g. on Demigod) have a good sound, and good vocals, and fairly good tune, but all of their lyrics are anti-christian, which is not what I'm looking for themewise. I would have to say their sound is the closest though.

The sound I'm looking for is best described as the intro to Years of Silent Sorrow, minus the slow-ish rest of the song, and with slightly deeper and angrier vocals and slightly more of a death metal-ish feel. Or something similar to Behemoth but not dealing with christianity or satanism at all. Paganism is fine. Does that make any sense? Appreciate any suggestions and sorry for the poor description of what I'm looking for

Hmm your description of the specific sound you want matches perfectly with tech death, but at the same time you feel that bands like Nile don't have enough tune for you. I'll put up some examples of other tech death bands, as well as some early finnish death metal because some bands fit the description as well.

(you wanted deep vocals? look no further than Demilich)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know too much about tech death, but from what I've heard it's more complexly written and harder to follow. I wouldn't think it sounds like what I'm looking for, but I don't know enough about it to say for sure.

I like the song you posted by Psycroptic. Seems pretty solid all around. Will have to listen to it again tomorrow.

The Martyr one I'm not too into. The vocals and instruments don't seem all that heavy to me. I do like its fast pace though

Demilich seems to have vocals a little too deep. lol. Don't want to sound picky though. Other than that I like it.

The one by Adramelech is definitely my favorite. It's just pretty badass all around. Deep (though sporadic) vocals, fast and hard-hitting, and has some great heavy riffs.

I also found this band on encyclopedia metallum just now:

which I really like alot so far

do the vocals need to be in English?
if not, do the vocals have to fit your lyrical constraints even if they're not in English?

my metal taste is almost entirely death metal, and i look for similar elements as you, sound-wise. be sure to check out these songs in full!

Lost Soul - Polish like Behemoth (who i also love) but more brutal

Trauma - also Polish, these guys rule

Bloodbath - great balance of brutality, groove, melody and evilness

Suffocation - EVERYTHING by them kicks ass!

Immolation - amazing band! some anti-christian songs but their later albums not so literally.

Dying Fetus - fuckin fast relentless hammering yet still groovy

it's too bad you don't like anti-christian lyrics cuz Deicide is fucking awesome

Ribspreader - newer Swedish band, good stuff

edit: almost forgot fuckin Decapitated!

i suggest you stop giving a shit about lyrics, it will open up a lot more options :)

do the vocals need to be in English?
if not, do the vocals have to fit your lyrical constraints even if they're not in English?

They don't need to be in english. But they should fit the theme description regardless

my metal taste is almost entirely death metal, and i look for similar elements as you, sound-wise. be sure to check out these songs in full!

Nice, these are pretty brutal--

Lost Soul- pretty awesome but I think I like Behemoth's sound better

Trauma- really kickass. will have to look into more stuff by them. One of my favorite of the ones you posted

Bloodbath- not bad but not as into it as some of the others

Suffocation- I like this track, it has alot of groove to it especially toward the end

Immolation- this track is amazing. Really fucking heavy. Need to look into more stuff by them

Dying Fetus- this one is good too

Deicide- not bad, not one of my favorites tho

Ribspreader- really heavy. I like it

Decapitated- hard to follow, at least the first time listening through it

Overall your bands seem faster than the ones -CyanideChrist- posted. Which are brutal death and which are tech? Brutal would be faster and more straightforward / less experimental, right? I like most of them, I'd have to say that Trauma and Immolation are my favorites, along with Adramelech and Allfader. I'll also keep looking into Ribspreader, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Psychroptic, etc

i suggest you stop giving a shit about lyrics, it will open up a lot more options

yea I know, but the theme of a song or a band overall is fairly important to me since along with the sound it's part of the expression. Just personal pref

Alright if you like Trauma and Immolation you might like the following stuff:

so that you can look cool to passersby who might understand those lyrics you don't understand?

no? I don't get it.

Music is a form of art. A song is about what it's about, whether you speak the language or not. Why would you enjoy listening to something whose message you strongly disagree with? Would you prefer just to remain blissfully ignorant of what the songs you listen to are about? I would have at least some idea what a song or album is about, whether or not it's in English. I don't need to know it word for word, but I don't see why you wouldn't care at all what it's about.

Already familiar with Zyklon, they're not bad

Katalysm- this is great! the intro was really brutal and the rest of the sound didn't disappoint. Have to add them to my list of bands to keep looking into

Gory Blister- surprisingly melodic at parts, but in a good way since it keeps up the fast pace throughout. Pretty good

Sickening Horror- kind of reminds me of groove metal at some parts, except alot heavier. Also pretty good

I like the Kataklysm one the best out of the four. I really like the super-fast ("blast beat"?) drumming in this song because they didn't speed up the melody too much to match it, they kept it at a normal heavy pace, which I think works really well together

So far it seems like I like both tech death and brutal death, though I'm still a little unclear on the exact definitions. Also I've found some more bands on my own I really like so far, some death, some melodic death, some black/death, some brutal death. Nephrite Devourment Crest of Darkness etc

Thanks for all the replies