Looking for something melodic and fresh

Satellites-n-Astronauts

New Metal Member
May 6, 2015
I'm looking for a band that sounds fresh to my ears.

What do I mean with fresh? Something that is a bit new, unusual, unique, yet not so bizarre that it's unlistenable. I'm open-minded but also critical of the music sonically and if the music has enough variation.

- Genres that I can usually enjoy: melodic death metal (including the more modern/alternative variants), post-rock/metal(Agalloch, Russian Circles), progressive influences(Mnemic, Tool, Ulver), atmospheric black(Wolves in the Throne Room), ambient, etc.

- Genres I used to like but kind of outgrew: black/death/thrash/heavy/folk/pagan, these genres are okay but I just want to see some irregular combo's.

- Genres I never liked:
metalcore, powermetal, over-the-top-proggy, overly-chuggy djent stuff, symphonic girl metal, and grind.

Some bands I've been listening lately:

Earth
Sunn O)))
Ulver
Agalloch
Deftones
Tool
Soilwork
In Flames
Mnemic (first two albums)

I know it's a bit of an odd taste-spectrum... since most of it is radically different.

To put the dilemma simply:
I love melodic death metal but over the years has become a bit too typical in songstructure (verse/chorus/verse/solo/chorus) for me. Most melodic death metal bands kind of sound like complete At-the-Gates clones too, so I get kind of bored looking for ones that don't.
Some of the first bands I mentioned are very interesting because they're experimental but they're often a bit too much on the depressing side for my tastes. (especially Sunn O and Ulver)

I'm curious if there's just some really good in-between stuff out there...
Variation and melody are the key for me. Technicality can be a plus, if it's not over the top. Let's see what bells are ringing with you people...

I'm looking for a band that sounds fresh to my ears.

- Genres that I can usually enjoy: melodic death metal (including the more modern/alternative variants), post-rock/metal(Agalloch, Russian Circles), progressive influences(Mnemic, Tool, Ulver), atmospheric black(Wolves in the Throne Room), ambient, etc.

http://www.reverbnation.com/pinwheel

I posted about these guys in the Tool thread, but since you mentioned Tool. ;)

http://youtu.be/FTBevwgJnFU

Try this on for size. They are a local band from my hometown of Winnipeg and they put on an excellent live show.

They are Noire and the album is Dark Reverence. Check out all the other songs they've got on Bobs channel, Ghosts of Damnation is an awesome tune as well.