Looking for suggestions on this mix. sort of post/ambient rock

visceral

Sep 22, 2009
Ok...this is my first real attempt at mixing a non metal band. I'm fairly happy with it, but I could use some fresh ears. I already plan to reduce the reverb on vocals a bit.

First off all...these guys were not really prepared to record, so the playing was quite sloppy. Idid get some usable takes (sufficient for a demo), however at times it was torture!

Guitars: guitarist used podfarm. I didn't do a lot to the clean tones. Just filtered & notched out some frequencies to tame the insane amount of pick attack. His heavy tone was pretty horrendous, but its one of those cases where te guitar player just will not change the tone. It has some pretty extreme eq. HPF at about 110, LPF at about 5500! And even another LPF on the guitar bus around 7000hz. His original tone was very heavy in the high frequencies...and had a lot of booming bass. I added a bit of multiband comp to the lows & low mids of the guitars. Also had to notch out a few frequencies around 2500 & 4000.

Bass: A cheap washburn bass with string that were like 8 years old haha. It was very hard to get anything usable, but I think its alright. I basically split into hi & low tracks...cutting the mids from around 700-2000hz. Added lots of comp to the low track, then combined the tracks on a bus. This was then ran thru TSE BOD.

Drums are EZX metal machine.

Vocals: eq, comp, de-ess, a slight slap back delay, & reverb.

All comments/tips welcome.

Oh...and you may want to skip ahead to about the 1 minute mark. They have an keyboard/guitar intro that lasts just over a minute....some people lol.

https://db.tt/hX1WZd8M