looking to switch from pro-tool le to logic 8

Jun 6, 2007
hey guys over the lat month i have been looking at making the switch. A couple of the reasons for wanting to switch is with digi its always cash cash cash, you want more tracks cash, better plug-ins cash, also i cant update my mac without pro-tools fucking up ( i didnt pay cash for a program then more cash for more tracks so when i update my comp it dont work) dont get me wrong pro-tools is easy to use. What i was wondering from all use logic ppl is is there a feature like tab to transient and something like beat detective for slicing up my drum tracks in logic 8?

There is tab to transient.

To do grid style editing, you have to put all the drum tracks in a group, then use the marquee tool and shift along to each transient. I put my trigger tracks together and select the marquee tool over them, then use the "group engage/disengage" shortcut to shift between the transients on the trigger tracks and all the tracks in the group to make the cuts.

Its a little longwinded, but I can do a whole song in about 10/15 mins normally.

that sounds good i think i am goin to go in and try it out first. have you used pro-tools would you say you prefer logic if you have? is the stock plug-ins you get anygood?

Ive just left logic 8 for pro tools HD and theres no looking back.. Once you play with elastic audio you wont want to try editing drums in logic again.

I find the editing to be fine in Logic 8 - I'm far faster at doing edits in Logic than I ever was in Cubase. That said I never enjoyed doing edits in any previous version of Logic.

Quick-swipe comping is great, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on a hell of a lot else.....

I find the editing to be fine in Logic 8 - I'm far faster at doing edits in Logic than I ever was in Cubase. That said I never enjoyed doing edits in any previous version of Logic.

Quick-swipe comping is great, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on a hell of a lot else.....

I used to think the same when I was using logic but I spent last night having my first proper go with elastic audio and compared to logic you will actually crap your pants

Yeah I agree for drum editing you can't beat Pro Tools, I decided a while back that I'm gonna have to live with using both. Logic has great features for comping and overdubbing (quick swipe) which are very quick and similar to what PT8 will have. You can just record directly over an audio region and it creates a lane (similar to Cubase). However, for mixing Logic 8 wins for me as it has ADC and smart solo buttons. So currently, I edit drums in PT but most everything else is done in Logic. From a composers point of view Logic is quite good for adding midi etc as well, as it incorporates midi editors and score very nicely (although so does PT 8).
Reuben

correct me if im wrong, and this may only be a V7 thing, but..... my boss (seasoned diehard logic user - obviously insanse) says that the busses arent delay compensated in Logic? WTF?!

correct me if im wrong, and this may only be a V7 thing, but..... my boss (seasoned diehard logic user - obviously insanse) says that the busses arent delay compensated in Logic? WTF?!

This was an issue with 7. I cant remember which update sorted it but its now sorted.. Very frustrating to try and compress the drum buss or something like that only to find it puts the drums out of sync with everything else..

There are levels of delay compensation in logic that can be selected though.

Well, elastic audio is in a few different hosts now - Ableton Live, Reaper, and I think Cubase has it since v4. I've not used it in Pro Tools as I don't have a need for it, but for my money, the best implementation is Reapers.

Unfortunately, you're on a Mac, and the MacOSX version of Reaper isn't really usable yet. If you had a PC, I'd recommend Reaper over pretty much everything else out there.

logic is pretty much the worst of the popular DAW platforms for editing audio.

lol we've had these talks before good sir. that being said, coming from a logic user (myself) i can safely tell you i'd rather be running across a highway as it is less stressful and nerve wrenching than editing. i am going to get 8 eventually supposedly the editing is easier.

the way i see it PT LE is inferior to the other major DAWs. until i can afford an HD system, and learn PT inside and out, it's logic for me. i am used to it, i dont like cubase so i am basically sticking it out. you get used to it after a while. we'll see how logic 8 works out.