Why should I switch to Pro Tools?

EdwardPayne

May 10, 2006
www.metallfabriken.se
I'm looking towards Pro Tools cuz i'm curious about it.
Right now I'm working with Logic Studio on a Mac.

Do any of you work with pro tools? can you give me some really good reasons why I should try the Digidesign 003 Factory bundle?

Is it enough with 32 channels for example? What are your thoughts about Pro Tools?

:Smokin:

Waste of money. Stick with Logic if you're happy there, you'll get much more mileage out of your hardware with it. The only reason to get Pro Tools is if you need to work extensively with Pro Tools sessions.

Look... You can get a TON from learning and working on a Pro Tools rig. I have. HOWEVER... Even though I have LE on an iMac at home... I LEARNED on HD 7. And there is a huge difference TBH. But, I already knew what the differences were to LE before going into it. I never looked at LE as a "studio-usable" DAW... only a home recording/mixing platform that had an interface I was already familiar with.

Unless you are opening your own studio, or already have one, and the demand is becoming greater for you to use Pro Tools for your work... Stick with Logic for now. Lots of great and highly respected Engineers and Producers use Logic. It's much easier and WAY less expensive to expand with a Logic/Mac foundation to your system as well. If you do decide to go Pro Tools at some point, I would strongly suggest waiting until you can go with an HD system.

the only good reason i know to go to pro tools le is because if you're gonna or wanna take to a professional studio that uses PT to be mixed then all you have to do is take them the session. but like said before, hardware ease is a reason to stay with Logic.

Yeah, but wanted the actual sessions is an engineer being lazy. I can put files from any DAW into Pro Tools, just by changing everything into individual wav files. Sure, I'll charge for the extra time, but that hardly a reason for everyone to go out and buy PTLE.

its not honestly usable in a professional capacity without the music production toolkit, but i love it.

C'mon James, you know it's all subjective to the operator. I could say the same thing about Cubase vs. PT. But I digress.

I plan on getting an MBox Micro to have compatibility, I use Cubase 4 and don't think I'll ever fully switch to anything else. Worked with PT professionally, even then I used Cubase SX as my own host. I have had to turn down quite a few projects simply because I did not want to deal with converting PTS into CPR (Cubase) format or OMF or anything. All any of us can do is tell you our experience/opinion about anything, doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong or one host is better than the other. I look at performance more than anything else, personally. So things may be easier to person A in X host, while it's easier to do the same thing for person B in Y host.

None of that matters because you aren't person A or B. You need to have one you are comfortable and efficient in. I really wish people would stop asking about which host to get.

~006

I really wish people would stop asking about which host to get.

That's why my first answer is ALWAYS, "Why don't you try and get an apprenticeship with a studio near you, get familiar with the equipment they have, and go from there. That is basically what I did." I think that is pretty fucking sound advice, and I don't think anyone has ever followed it. My theory is that, if you've never done engineering work, or are at least new enough not to know which DAW you want, then you aren't going to be immediately comfortable on anything. So, people should go learn on something and get comfortable with basic engineering practices under someone else's wing. Then, they can take what they've learned and become accustomed to, move on, and expand their knowledge from there.

get an mbox, record drums in logic, and learn protools. always good to make yourself familiar with different daws so you will have some experience with whichever daw a studio could throw at you. i personnaly moved from pro tools to logic so i could have more inputs to record drums. initially was going to export and mix in pro tools, but logic was just fine :)

C'mon James, you know it's all subjective to the operator. I could say the same thing about Cubase vs. PT.
wtf?...ehhh, well... yeah... seeing as how the thread starter asked about Pro Tools and owns and uses Logic... and all i said was "just as easy" and "some things easier", based on watching the logic videos the other guy linked, i fail to see where you're coming from with this, or exactly how there's any point in it. this is not a PT vs. anything argument.. nor was it an argument at all... merely an observation based on the logic vids and my knowledge of PT. you seem to be finding some contention that simply isn't there.

All this being said, if someone said "hey I'm gonna give you a pro tools HD setup" I wouldn't spend a moments hesitation hopping on top of that bitch and riding it out for all it's worth.

I like pro tools HD alot actually.

LE is just so meh. They really need to come out with something in between that's native.

Thank you ALL for your comments! I'm just interested in trying PT to see what it's like. As some of you understod my initial question was not a PT vs Logic argument. I work really good in Logic and I like it.

The best idea would be to visit a studio near by and ask if I could try it on. That would be great!

The downside of switching from Logic to PT would be that all my plugins would be useless and I would have to start from the top and buy TDM-versions of them all - and i would only have 16 inputs for starters and my old hardware interface would be useless too..

Thank you for that Logic video podcast, I'll have a look at all of them now!

Horns up! maybe you will give me some more interesting posts after this!
:headbang:

=The downside of switching from Logic to PT would be that all my plugins would be useless and I would have to start from the top and buy TDM-versions of them all - and i would only have 16 inputs for starters and my old hardware interface would be useless too..

TDM plugs are for pro tools HD only. If your getting LE you need RTAS plugs.

I find. that there is no harm in mix and matching. I myself will generally track and midi sequence in Cubase, and between half way or the end the project, I will have moved my tracks to Pro Tools. Depends what your needs are. It's the same principle as as engineers who record on 2" and then dump it onto a DAW. In fact it should be a much easier process. Its all digital...

Cubase is more flexible with my hardware and mobile setup for multiple ins. However, Pro Tools is my weapon of choice for editing and mixdown. With the prices of MBox's so cheap it's worth getting one if you have a bit of spare cash.

A few years ago I made the decision to get a basic version of Pro Tools and learn it inside out. Because of that, I have found myself getting full time work out of it.