Lord Belial Is No More

This is a band i really liked actually...it's really say to see what has happend to them.

RIP.

Another tinnitus sufferer here.

I'm sure that probably worked for x amount of years, but playing regular shows as well as rehearsing regularly in a band is hard on the ears whether you wear earplugs or not. And if there is already significant damage, simply wearing earplugs may not be sufficient protection.

Exactly. I've noticed some drummers in bands that have been around for around 10 years wear headphones and assume it's to prevent hearing damage. I've only jammed with 2 other people in a garage and after playing guitar and someone else playing guitar and drums it takes all off us awile before are hearing goes back to somewhat normal and it really fucks my ears up(have not been using earplugs)

So the drummer blew his ears out? That seems really silly to me. When playing live the guitars are pointed away from the drums, and in practice it seems very obvious that proper protection should be obtained. I would just play with less intensity and have my mics turned up.

The guitar amps are pointed away from the drums, but the drummer still needs to be able to hear them. Each musician on stage has his/her own monitors through which the rest of the band can be heard. These monitors are usually cranked because drums are fuckin' loud.

And who the hell wants to play with less intensity? If a band actually made a conscious effort to play with less intensity that would result in a very shitty show.

A lot of metal drummers seems to play as loud as they can for much of the time. Playing at less than FFF some of the time would be easier on the ears, and it would allow you to build up to another level during certain moments. Metal drumming really could be and should be a lot more dynamic.

I really hope I don't damage my hearing. I've got a bad habit of listening to music on my headphones really loud, even at full volume...it's like you just get caught up in the music, and the volume keeps increasing...I know this isn't nearly as bad as concerts/shows but still...
I'm hearing impaired... about 15% in each ear.. but that is due to being born that way or because of a high fever in childhood the doctor said... anyways because of my hearing loss I tend to put music really loud but which sounds normal to me because of my diminished hearing... trust me, you do not want hearing loss... I'm afraid as I advance in age i will become totally deaf... I am even planning of learning sign language just in case...

plugging your ears actually makes tinnitus seem louder to you, because your ears generate the noise themselves, from inside your head. outside sounds help drown out the noise. though at gigs the metal will penetrate the plugs ldo. losing your hearing is the worst thing that can happen because tinnitus will be ALL YOU CAN HEAR (i read articles about this).

when i first noticed tinnitus, i got fucking panicked/depressed/anxious. i even quit metal for awhile. months later i got somewhat accustomed to it. and im a metalhead at heart :headbang:, so fuck that. although i completely stopped using earphones/headphones and only use speakers, at a sane volume.

nothing like some death metal to make tinnitus STFU, lol. but not too loud or too long or it will get louder and i'll have to keep turning the volume up. also, not only metal makes it go up, sometimes it does for chewing, bad posture, getting stressed, or no reason at all. and at night i need a fan on (facing away lol), even if it's freezing cold, or sleeping is difficult. though on a "good" day i can do without...

my volume and pitch fluctuate. loud and high is fucking awful. soft and low is barely noticable. i have some meds that help bring it more towards the latter. but it -never- goes away totally.

This is a terrible shame...I read it on their myspace also. I have never heard of tinnitus until now. I wish they didn't have to break up.

I've noticed some drummers in bands that have been around for around 10 years wear headphones and assume it's to prevent hearing damage.

If a drummer is wearing headphones it will most likely be because the band use sequenced keyboards or samples and he is playing to a click track.

most people only hear about it once they have actually "heard" it.

the difference from cancer is that it -cant- kill you.

but it can make you wish you were dead. (i read articles about this)

A lot of metal drummers seems to play as loud as they can for much of the time. Playing at less than FFF some of the time would be easier on the ears, and it would allow you to build up to another level during certain moments. Metal drumming really could be and should be a lot more dynamic.

I actually enjoy the music more if the drums are dynamic. Back when I listened to Ancient, I remember that being something that really stuck out to me.

And it's something I love about Agalloch.