lord hypnos > artifacts of the black rain

noahfor

Feb 18, 2006
So, find me in these grandiose halls
where long ago summers eternally fall
and tune the strings of truthful longing
to the frozen music of gods

The breakdown in Lord Hynos is fucking fantastic. Right after the topic-starters lyrics, that next section is amazing. Everything after that is boss as well. When the chorus melody reappears at 3:36, but with the added layer of harmony, I go places. That song is very important in the course of my life, and represents an important moment in which I fell into melodeath and realized that I would never go back to who I was.

Artifacts is pretty generic death metal, except for the chorus and breakdown. The chorus is the kind of awesome "guitar singing" we expect from old Stromblad. Back when he was a second voice in every song, saying what words couldn't. Fuck.

The breakdown gets pretty awesome itself, but it comes across, to me, as a do-over of the breakdown of Stand Ablaze. The use a pretty similar structure, and the same riffing style.

Now prepare. I am going to fuck your mind.

Stand Ablaze: 3 minutes and 14 seconds.

Franz Liszt, Grandes études de Paganini, Étude No. 6 (Theme and Variations) (A minor): 2 minutes and 48 seconds.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYF3zEDCc84&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
The breakdown in Lord Hynos is fucking fantastic. Right after the topic-starters lyrics, that next section is amazing. Everything after that is boss as well. When the chorus melody reappears at 3:36, but with the added layer of harmony, I go places. That song is very important in the course of my life, and represents an important moment in which I fell into melodeath and realized that I would never go back to who I was.

Artifacts is pretty generic death metal, except for the chorus and breakdown. The chorus is the kind of awesome "guitar singing" we expect from old Stromblad. Back when he was a second voice in every song, saying what words couldn't. Fuck.

The breakdown gets pretty awesome itself, but it comes across, to me, as a do-over of the breakdown of Stand Ablaze. The use a pretty similar structure, and the same riffing style.

Now prepare. I am going to fuck your mind.

Stand Ablaze: 3 minutes and 14 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ2pT6mBrTM

Franz Liszt, Grandes études de Paganini, Étude No. 6 (Theme and Variations) (A minor): 2 minutes and 48 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYF3zEDCc84&feature=related
Haha nice, it's almost like a metal version of that part,
Lord Hypnos > Artifacts for sure. but Stand Ablaze is so retardedly good aswell.

see, i think if anything is going to give lord hypnos a run for its money, it's going to be goliaths disarm their davids, although i still favor LH

Lord Hypnos is awesome but cannot beat the emotion and unique feeling in Artifacts. Artifacts perfectly straddles sorrow and joy. Nostalgia and present moment. Also love how it alternates between a chill, relaxed feeling and aggression. Solo in Artifacts is better too.

Really tough comparison but Artifacts wins.

Nice bump of an ancient thread :D

I prefer Artifacts (it also works much better live), but Lord Hypnos is great too.

I'm glad I hold the same opinion 9 years later. Lord Hypnos is definitely better. I usually skip to next when Artifacts comes on nowadays, I find it kind of boring.

Lord Hypnos gets really progressive and interesting in the middle. Also has a lot of good riffs. Definitely a good listen and one my favorites. I rank it 9.5/10. If I were to randomly listen to TJR songs, I do agree Lord Hypnos is more novel and I would probably spin it more. As it is I usually listen to the whole album so I listen to all of them about the same amount — a few times a year at this point. But Artifacts’ melody is so classic and basically a part of me, I don’t really need to listen to it since I can just listen to it in my head. 10/10