LORDI AND TURISAS

Annie B

New Metal Member
Oct 27, 2006
Just been to see Lordi at Nottingham's Rock City who were supported by a another Finnish Band called Turisas.

I'd never heard of them before but thought Turisas were great, I really loved their quirky fusion of Folk and Heavy Metal. Maybe its the Celtic in me but I loved it and loved their raw Viking air and influences. Its a rare thing to see an accordian introduced into a heavy metal band and an electric violin but they made it work, even if the accordian player tried his best to look really evil but couldn't quite pull it off with an accordian strapped to him. I got the same feeling from this band I got when I heard System of a Down for the First Time and Chop Suey blew my mind, they were just awesome.

Lordi came on and didn't disappoint the crowd but personally I preferred Turisas. The gap between Turisas going off and Lordi setting up and coming on was over an hour , not pleasant in a small venue like Rock City that was packed to the hilt. Outfits great, stage show great, atmosphere great, but with offerings from Turisas like Rex Regi Rebellis and Battle Metal, maybe Lordi will find themselves supporting Turisas next time around.

Only saw the last song of Turisas, sounded like bad Bal Sagoth to me....

Are you sure it was an hour gap? I beg to differ, still...

Lordi -

Well the sound was cacky with a horrible guitar sound. Rock City is a weird place, the volume always sounds too quiet, but so horrible that you don't really want it any louder at the same time! I thought the band did what they could on such a small stage, but really Lordi should be in an arena. Then they could take advantage of things such as projection screens and lasers. I think they need these things because while they do as much as they can the costumes seem to limit their movement a bit. I thought the 'jukebox' section was a good bit of fun, but why did they play 4 songs that I didn't even recognise??? What the hell were they?

I saw them at Manchester. I only went because it was a friends brithday present, I ain't too keen on Lordi but I decided to go anyway and I have to admitt I was very impressed.
I saw Turisas and loved them, I even foguht my way to the front because I thought they were ace, I saw alot of people in wolf skin jumping around which made me laugh. Turisas put on such a good show, the violin solo was amazing and I never new that instrument could sound so metal! I especially liked the song One More it was so complex and had some ace guitar work :headbang:
Lordi I thought were also very good live. They sounded alot like they do on albums which I think shows that they are a good act. I wasn't into the pre-recorded monster sound things they were cheesy but the chainsaw that fired water was ace! Also the way the show was put together worked very well and they used alot of special features to get the best out of the venue.
The thing I didn't like was the fact that loads of kida were dressed up in werid monster costumes, I mean ggo to a concert and have a good time but I dotn appriciate someones long black suit thing smcaking me in the face. Also this stupid girl kept holding up a sign so no one could see which incidently ended up being lauched backwards by me. Yet despite this they put on an ace show but tbh Turisas were far better.-