Lost Classic - see inside....

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Ok, another lost classic here, though some will say it was never lost, and some will say it ain't no classic. So, a short rant/explanation first:

Back in 86 Metallica were not the big boys on the block no matter what anybody tries to tell you. Their audience was still pretty specific, and sales, while platnium, were not in the stratosphere. I remember very well when Cliff died...and I remember thinking, "Fuck, Master of Puppets was amazing. Now what's gonna happen?" Then the news of the new bass player, etc. etc. So, when news about some odd little new release reached my sad little rural ears, I ran down to the 'ol record shop. They had one copy. I picked it up....put it in, and it was glorious. It was the main 'listen" that circulated between me and my group of friends for a good portion of that year. Just a "fun" record, but heavy and catchy, and just plain cool.

The context is important, I think, to really understanding this album. I know a lot of people like it. But back in the day, when Metallica's future was unsure (death in the family), they came out with a "cheap" album for the fans, and to break in the new bass player, and for awhile all was well with the world. I speak of course of the Garage days ep, or the $6.98 ep as I believe it was called in those days. Yes, it's been re-released since then, but in it's original place and time, it was a glorious little one off that really fucking ruled. Some say this about ....And justice....but I'm inclined to say it was their last truly great album. It didn't matter at the time that it was visibly less technical than Master and its predecessors. Rather, I was just relieved to see that they were going to continue, and that they'd made a kind of "old school" sounding pounder of a record.

So....Metallica - Garage Days revisited - The $6.98 ep.

ElectricWiz said:
Ok, another lost classic here, though some will say it was never lost, and some will say it ain't no classic. So, a short rant/explanation first:

Back in 86 Metallica were not the big boys on the block no matter what anybody tries to tell you. Their audience was still pretty specific, and sales, while platnium, were not in the stratosphere. I remember very well when Cliff died...and I remember thinking, "Fuck, Master of Puppets was amazing. Now what's gonna happen?" Then the news of the new bass player, etc. etc. So, when news about some odd little new release reached my sad little rural ears, I ran down to the 'ol record shop. They had one copy. I picked it up....put it in, and it was glorious. It was the main 'listen" that circulated between me and my group of friends for a good portion of that year. Just a "fun" record, but heavy and catchy, and just plain cool.

The context is important, I think, to really understanding this album. I know a lot of people like it. But back in the day, when Metallica's future was unsure (death in the family), they came out with a "cheap" album for the fans, and to break in the new bass player, and for awhile all was well with the world. I speak of course of the Garage days ep, or the $6.98 ep as I believe it was called in those days. Yes, it's been re-released since then, but in it's original place and time, it was a glorious little one off that really fucking ruled. Some say this about ....And justice....but I'm inclined to say it was their last truly great album. It didn't matter at the time that it was visibly less technical than Master and its predecessors. Rather, I was just relieved to see that they were going to continue, and that they'd made a kind of "old school" sounding pounder of a record.

So....Metallica - Garage Days revisited - The $6.98 ep.

Actually - it was dubbed "The $9.98 EP"...and it was a really good release...still gets plenty of play in my rotation. I even remember a few burnt dudes that I hung out with back then that I had to actually find copies of the original versions of those tunes to prove to them that they were covers and not an actual Metallica "album" with original music that they wrote.

JB

Thanks for the $9.98. I couldn't remember. Then again, the cassette and vinyl might have had different prices. Just plain can't remember.

I thought this was gonna be a Spastic Children review, based on the first paragraph!

ElectricWiz said:
Thanks for the $9.98. I couldn't remember. Then again, the cassette and vinyl might have had different prices. Just plain can't remember.

You might be right about the tape being cheaper...I seem to remember something like that - but the memory is a bit hazy...

JB

wdiv said:
I thought this was gonna be a Spastic Children review, based on the first paragraph!

Haha. You know? I've never heard anything they did. Were there bootlegs? I can't imagine it was especially good stuff since my understanding was that 50% of the purpose of the band was to get drunk. Now, I realize the same could be said about Metallica, but I remember reading that they were falling-over drunk. Anyway, ha, Spastic Children.

That was the first Metallica that I've ever heard, I went to this small music shop to buy Justice cause I've oredered it from them, and there it was, and because I've never heard of it before, I took that one instead. I must have listened to it a thousand times cause I was in school still and had to wait a whole month to be able to buy Justice

Helpless
The Small Hours
The Wait
Crash Course it Brain Surgery
Last Caress/Green Hell

ElectricWiz said:
Haha. You know? I've never heard anything they did. Were there bootlegs? I can't imagine it was especially good stuff since my understanding was that 50% of the purpose of the band was to get drunk. Now, I realize the same could be said about Metallica, but I remember reading that they were falling-over drunk. Anyway, ha, Spastic Children.
I used to have copies of Spastik Children live at Ruthies.All of those tapes got destroyed in a flood,it was pretty funny. The song "Ballard of Harold O" is Hilarious and I also liked "Dirt Bag Baby". "She carries aids & Herpes too she my dirt bag baby" :lol: