Bands I picked up from the UMOS SS weekend ...

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
How do you say; it was a fruitfull weekend or so ?? :)
From this little weekend I picked up 2 new bands I REALLY like; Outworld and Beyond the Twilight...Outworld has awesome songs and finally; a record with some good guitar shredding again ! Great vocals too, I allways liked some high and clear vocals... Also the production of this record is extremely sharp!
Beyond the Twilight I like mostly becouse of the combination of Classic and Heavy Metal music, in a way not many bands have done it before. Listened to it with headphones on and it sounds superb !

2 CD's that I'll buy for sure when they hit the shelves !!

Outworld was fantastic! and yes even through my crappy speakers!:lol: the Benedictum got me tooo still having a hard time believing that it's a female vocalist, but I do like her sound!:headbang:

kittybeast said:
Outworld was fantastic! and yes even through my crappy speakers!:lol: the Benedictum got me tooo still having a hard time believing that it's a female vocalist, but I do like her sound!:headbang:

He's a she?!?!? I thought she was a he! Wow! Although some of the lyrics to one of the songs did suggest that. I thought it a little weird the first time I heard them but now it all makes sense. :oops:

I'm checking out a bunch of Leatherwolf right now that I picked up from Hawk since I'll be seeing them in September. Pretty cool stuff. I remember some of the stuff from way back when.

The Benedictum is getting its hooks into me as well. I like the Sabbath covers.

I'll have to get the Eddie Ojeda stuff up to share.

I also acquired Benedictum this weekend. Carnut was pimping it big time and I can't thank him enough. What a fantastic breath of fresh air. And the fact it's a FEMALE singing like Dio makes this album that much more special.

Beyond Twilight is just as carnut says. Hear it with headphones. It's one awesome piece of work, although not recommended for fans limited to straight-forward metal only.

I should also mention two awesome US Power metal bands i discovered thanks to Hawk and carnut. Ripper Owen's new band Beyond Fear just slays on some songs, and is quite competent at the rest. Also a band called Winter's Bane got a spin last night and that sounded pretty damn good too.

Ballistic (great recommendation Narc) did it for me. I also checked Outworld, and Griffin.

It was like a smorgasbord for me. I sample a few mp3s from almost everyone. I haven't listened to the Benedictum yet. A female singer, huh!!!

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I should also mention two awesome US Power metal bands i discovered thanks to Hawk and carnut. Ripper Owen's new band Beyond Fear just slays on some songs, and is quite competent at the rest. Also a band called Winter's Bane got a spin last night and that sounded pretty damn good too.

See TSO, thats a passion both carnut and me share. We both really love US metal. Too many Americans know all about the Euro Power-Metal bands and almost next to nothing about the really hundreds of hight quality US bands out there.

You can say we both have made it our sacred mission to promote the hell out of US metal!! Why? Because its criminally undervalued and because it RULES!! :headbang:

Oh yeah... so many good recommendations, so little time!

Benedictum. I had to ask TSO about three times if it was a chick singing?!?! WOW!

Communic. WOW! Hawk, I still think that they sound like N-More. Once again though, I need to spend a little more quality time with it.

Ballistic. I knew this band would kick ass because of Tom Gattis and the legend of Deuce/Tension...

The rest of the list I need to spin. Maybe by the end of next MONTH I can have my list of purchases compiled from listening.

It definately was a heavy metal overload!

Narcosynthesys68 said:
Oh yeah... so many good recommendations, so little time!

Benedictum. I had to ask TSO about three times if it was a chick singing?!?! WOW!

Communic. WOW! Hawk, I still think that they sound like N-More. Once again though, I need to spend a little more quality time with it.

Ballistic. I knew this band would kick ass because of Tom Gattis and the legend of Deuce/Tension...

The rest of the list I need to spin. Maybe by the end of next MONTH I can have my list of purchases compiled from listening.

It definately was a heavy metal overload!

Thats good to hear buddy. Its was great chatting with you!

I see you boys and girls had a great time this weekend...
Unfortunately, SS keeps crashing after 15-20mins of use on my computer and I really don't know why, I only know I lose my patience with it.
I hope next release will be more stable...

Hawk said:
See TSO, thats a passion both carnut and me share. We both really love US metal. Too many Americans know all about the Euro Power-Metal bands and almost next to nothing about the really hundreds of hight quality US bands out there.

You can say we both have made it our sacred mission to promote the hell out of US metal!! Why? Because its criminally undervalued and because it RULES!! :headbang:
Maybe you and carnut should post your "short list" of U.S. Power metal bands that the uninitiated should be looking at. You guys up to the task? :D

Personally, I don't pay much attention to where a band is from when I'm first hearing them. I just listen and my ears tell me if I like it or not. The odd thing is I just looked thru about 100 of my most-listened-to cds, and there isn't much American in the lot. I've got Cage - Darker Than Black which is in my top-20 of all time list, and I've got a few early Iced Earth albums I really like. That's probably it for the power metal genre. I've got some American prog: Shadow Gallery, and Symphony X, Presto Ballet. That's about it for newer bands who weren't part of the rise of metal in the 70s or 80s.

I'm interested in seeing your short lists so I can figure out why U.S. Power doesn't appeal to me as much as Euro (and by Euro I don't meen euro-speed ala Helloween and Rhapsody). My guess is that European music just appeals more to me. I like the folkish/mideival/classical elements of Europe. American metal, in general, seems kind of bland and one-dimensional to me. (Which could be a product of our watered-down culture.) Or maybe it's just because all my ancestry comes straight from Scandanavia and it slipped down the gene-pool somehow.

I can say this, my fave American Power Metal band is Cage, simply for Darker Than Black album. And why is that my fave? Because they added the nuances of american indians, a different culture. Without that, it is just another U.S. Power metal album. It'll pound my balls to the wall, but there's nothing that really calls out to me from the shelf. No special melodies or riffs that stand out and I can't resist coming back to.

Maybe it's just because I am so interested and captivated by different cultures and I expect that in my music? Maybe it's because I grew up on British heavy metal in the 80s? I dunno.

NP: Beyond Fear - s/t

Maybe you and carnut should post your "short list" of U.S. Power metal bands that the uninitiated should be looking at. You guys up to the task? :D

Sure, no problem. Although I will be very busy for the next week. Send me a reminder and I give you a list.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to where a band is from when I'm first hearing them. I just listen and my ears tell me if I like it or not.

That how I do it as well. But at a certain moment you can help notice...

The odd thing is I just looked thru about 100 of my most-listened-to cds, and there isn't much American in the lot. I've got Cage - Darker Than Black which is in my top-20 of all time list, and I've got a few early Iced Earth albums I really like. That's probably it for the power metal genre.

Well, I did not mean my remarks to cover just the power-metal genre. As you know, I also like band that have a somewhat crossover sound between prog-metal and US metal.

Furthermore I have something against that term 'power-metal'. I mean what form of metal is not supposed to be powerful? Its just makes no sense to me. Thats why I'd rather use the term US -metal. And yes I think their is a very distinct sound there.

I've got some American prog: Shadow Gallery, and Symphony X, Presto Ballet. That's about it for newer bands who weren't part of the rise of metal in the 70s or 80s.

Well, there is a lot more where that came from. I'll give you a list of bands next week. Also remember this; just because you don't know more US bands in that genre, that does not mean that they are not there. :)

I'm interested in seeing your short lists so I can figure out why U.S. Power doesn't appeal to me as much as Euro (and by Euro I don't meen euro-speed ala Helloween and Rhapsody). My guess is that European music just appeals more to me. I like the folkish/mideival/classical elements of Europe. American metal, in general, seems kind of bland and one-dimensional to me. (Which could be a product of our watered-down culture.)

Dude ,I never will understand why Americans seem so intent to hate , belittle or dislike their own culture and country. I don't believe
there is a country in the world with so much self-hate and self-loathing. The European culture and the US culture are not so absolutely divided as most people in de US seem to think. Both are part of the bigger 'western culture'

Thinks about for instance how country music developed; by taking European influences and mixing them up. Think also about the US band 'Wuthering Heights' who mix folk and metal together. Now you may want to remark that folk music is essentially European, well remember that most of the people that came to the US the last few centuries of course came from Europe. And they took their folk music with them. It influenced styles like country, Cajun and blue-grass music and recently metal.

When you dig deep into the *American* culture you will find that its not shallow at all. Neither are the ideals that your country was founded on. In fact I would go as far as to say that the ideals the US was founded on are among the most profound of western culture and are indeed the result of the European enlightenment and thus of its culture.

Or maybe it's just because all my ancestry comes straight from Scandanavia and it slipped down the gene-pool somehow.

I can say this, my fave American Power Metal band is Cage, simply for Darker Than Black album. And why is that my fave? Because they added the nuances of American indians, a different culture.

I studied the American Indian culture for many years and I can tell you that you have a highly romanticized image of 'Indian culture".

First thing to know here is that there never was any 'Indian culture". There were hundreds of tribes all with hundreds of different customs.

It makes no sense historically, to compare the customs of say, the Blackfeet with the Navaho's. Its simply completely different. Some tribes had a agricultural way of life that was peaceful and cultured. Other tribes like the Sioux were a very warlike people who were basically hunter-gatherers and had almost no cultural elements
to speak of.

Go and see the movie "A man called horse" to get a faint impression
how the plain Indians lived and what their values were. Now please
don't mistake me, I am not making a blanket statement here. Its
rather the other way around; I am saying that the so called
'Indian culture was way to diverse to give it that unifying
expression.

Without that, it is just another U.S. Power metal album. It'll pound my balls to the wall, but there's nothing that really calls out to me from the shelf. No special melodies or riffs that stand out and I can't resist coming back to.

Well thats a matter of personal preferences. I doubt very highly thought that the melodies your are describing are a reflection of "Indian culture". Historically most of their music was dominantly rhythm-based and did not have much melody. Sorry, but thats the way it is. I am not
trying to belittle them. Its just basically how its was.

Maybe it's just because I am so interested and captivated by different cultures and I expect that in my music?

Hey like what you like. I believe in freedom.

Maybe it's because I grew up on British heavy metal in the 80s? I dunno.

I don't think so, because the legacy of the NWOBHM is carried on by the US-Metal bands. Lars Ulrich has always been very explicit where his influences came from. Almost all of the US-Thrash bands cite the NWOBHM band and Judas Priest as their major influence. Most of the Euro band don't have that edge and aggression like these UK bands had.

NP: Beyond Fear - s/t

Killer US-metal band!!

Take care buddy! :wave: :)

Go and see the movie "A man called horse"----

(if I'm correct) had a scene where they hung him up by his pectoral muscles with bear claws, this was a test of strength or a tribal ritual. Been a long, long time since I've seen this movie.

Hawk said:
Dude ,I never will understand why Americans seem so intent to hate , belittle or dislike their own culture and country. I don't believe
there is a country in the world with so much self-hate and self-loathing. The European culture and the US culture are not so absolutely divided as most people in de US seem to think. Both are part of the bigger 'western culture'

When you dig deep into the *American* culture you will find that its not shallow at all. Neither are the ideals that your country was founded on. In fact I would go as far as to say that the ideals the US was founded on are among the most profound of western culture and are indeed the result of the European enlightenment and thus of its culture.
I will not argue that American culture was quite deep if you go back in history and look at it. But today's America lacks the culture the country was founded on. In today's America, with our melting pot of cultures brought by influx of immigrants, marriages of mixed race and religion are occuring everyday. And those people who are mixing are having to sacrifice a little of their culture with each union. What you end up with eventually is a bland, homogenized stew of various cultures, all watered down so we we can all get along and live together.

I live here, buddy, I see it every day. Just little glimpses of the fading fabric. Here's an example. You walk into a Chinese restaurant here in America and the buffet is filled fried foods. Why? Because the Chinese are smart and they are catering to Americans fondness for grease laden foods that any self-respecting traditional Chinese would never put in their body. Yet, there I was last week, stuffing my gullet full of greasy fried chinese food and I glance over at a neighboring table of mine, a small Chinese-American family. And do you know what their plates were full of? You guessed it, the same greasy fried food I am eating. I was thinking, "now there is a family who is adjusting well to living in America". Only problem is, they are losing part of their culture with every adjustment. I know this is a little thing, but what I see around me is all little things. Many little things eventually become a big thing.

And, by the way Hawk, I wasn't calling MY culture watered down. I said America's culture is watered down. Big difference, ya know? :D

Hawk said:
I studied the American Indian culture for many years and I can tell you that you have a highly romanticized image of 'Indian culture".

First thing to know here is that there never was any 'Indian culture". There were hundreds of tribes all with hundreds of different customs.

It makes no sense historically, to compare the customs of say, the Blackfeet with the Navaho's. Its simply completely different. Some tribes had a agricultural way of life that was peaceful and cultured. Other tribes like the Sioux were a very warlike people who were basically hunter-gatherers and had almost no cultural elements
to speak of.
I've done my fair share of studying on Native Americans as well. And I think you took my reference to "Indian culture" too seriously. I am well aware of the differences between tribes. Two completely different cultures could be living almost side by side. I find it all quite fascinating.

Hawk said:
I doubt very highly thought that the melodies your are describing are a reflection of "Indian culture". Historically most of their music was dominantly rhythm-based and did not have much melody. Sorry, but thats the way it is. I am not
trying to belittle them. Its just basically how its was.
Like I said above, you took my reference too literally. Hell, maybe those melodies have nothing to do with American Indians. I just know that's what pops into my mind when I hear CHUPACAPRA! And it's certainly something unique that none of the other US metal bands have done. Sets them apart IMO.

Thanks for the debate, buddy! I'd rather do it over the phone though. Too much typing! o_O

Like I said above, you took my reference too literally. Hell, maybe those melodies have nothing to do with American Indians. I just know that's what pops into my mind when I hear CHUPACAPRA! And it's certainly something unique that none of the other US metal bands have done. Sets them apart IMO.

Thanks for the debate, buddy! I'd rather do it over the phone though. Too much typing! o_O

I guess you are right. I am in a way to serious mood because of my situation. Sorry about that. I had no intention of lecturing you. I have a lot of respect for you. :cry:

And in fact I agree with you said about the watering down of the American culture. Best not take me too seriously this period. Its going to be better, I promise. :)