so I finally picked up a Kiss album (and I've dissed them for years)

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
I grew up with 80s metal, discovering Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, Scorpions, Twisted Sister and Def Leppard (hardly metal, I know, but you get the point) on MTV in 1983-1984.

One of the more popular videos at that time was Kiss' "Heavens on Fire". Even at the tender age of 12 I thought it sucked. Over the course of time, I heard/saw the videos for "Thrill in the Night", "Tears are Falling" and god forgive us all, "lick it up" (easily one of the worst songs ever).

So my opinion of Kiss has never been a positive one. Flash forward a couple of years and I hear a few of their 70s tunes through a friend. Not nearly as bad as the mid 80s stuff, but not as great as so many claimed.

And I conveniently shelved Kiss and thought little of them.

So last week, while surfing Amazon for new tunes, I came across a new release entitled "Gold" (yes, a hits collection). Curiosity got the best of me (and I was bored). I D/L some tracks and was actually pleasantly surprised. 70s Kiss isn't that bad. In fact, some of the tunes were kick-ass rockin! I really can't believe I'm typing this, but a few of the songs were, gulp, heavy!

So this weekend, I bought "Gold". And I'm impressed. Now, sure, this is NOT 70s metal/rock in the same league as Led Zep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rush, etc., but the tunes kick ass!

Some of the tunes I find myself digging are:
Love Gun
I Want You
God of Thunder
I Stole Your Love
Detroit Rock City
She
Rock Bottom
Black Diamond
Firehouse
Hotter Than Hell

Ok, ok, so the lyrics are usually infantile and weak, and the vocals leave something to be desired, but it's honest rock!

Ok, ok...feel free to ridicule me now!

All great tunes. Check out these:

Take Me
King of the Night Time World
Got Love For Sale
Makin Love
Parasite
100,000 Years
C'mon and Love Me
Getaway
Do You Love Me
Mr Speed
Shock Me
Watchin' You
Strange Ways

and these "lesser known" tunes from the 80's rock also...it wasn't all Heaven's On Fire...most of these are pretty heavy.

Gimme More
No, No, No
War Machine
Creatures of the Night
Exciter
Not For the Innocent
Young and Wasted
A Million To One
King of the Mountain
I'm Alive
I've Had Enough
Under The Gun
Spit (from 92's Revenge)

FUCK NO, man! I won't ridicule you! Instead, I'll shake your hand and call you a great American! (no matter where you're from!) I'm curious as to how old you are, if you don't mind me asking, because I thought KISS was a rite of passage into the world of rock and metal back in the day....I am 31, but most of my buddies discovered KISS when we were like 8 or 9 and dressed up like them for many Halloweens to follow. Like the mighty Van Halen, their original sound was lost somewhat as new members entered the fold...but KISS is my favorite band of all time. Yeah, they do some crazy shit now that pisses a lot of folks off...they have lost their credibility due to Gene Simmons' greed, but they are still the greatest show on earth!!! Who cares about the level of musicianship, the quality of all the vocals, and all that shit. Listen to CALLING DR LOVE and tell me those 3 opening chords don't make your balls shake! I have the utmost respect for you giving KISS a chance after all these years. GOOD ON YA, MATE! (as Bruce said in Finding Nemo) Way to put your balls on the table! I applaud you.

Now, Rock N Roll All Night!
Ted

SoundMaster said:
I grew up with 80s metal, discovering Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, Scorpions, Twisted Sister and Def Leppard (hardly metal, I know, but you get the point) on MTV in 1983-1984.

I am in the minority here but I actually find the 80's Kiss to be superior to the 70's Kiss. "Animalize" and "Crazy Nights" were very good releases.

Bryant

i happen to be watching the KISS Symphony DVD as i type this hehe. and yeah, i agree about their 70s stuff being better than their 80's stuff. and those songs you stated that you liked are in my opinion some of their best. She is my fav KISS song easily. Destroyer was an absolutely amazing album and that was in '76.

Bryant said:
I am in the minority here but I actually find the 80's Kiss to be superior to the 70's Kiss. "Animalize" and "Crazy Nights" were very good releases. Bryant

Dude, I'm sorry, but that is just amazingly messed up and backwards. :p

I think Eric Carr is a better drummer than Peter Criss. I think the revolving door of guitarists they had after Ace left were probably better but I'll take Ace's riffage over any of those guys.

SoundMaster said:

No way. Welcome to the club! :wave: You might want to test out the unplugged disc sometime too. That version of the songs are just freakin' killer.

tedvanfrehley said:
I'm curious as to how old you are, if you don't mind me asking, because I thought KISS was a rite of passage into the world of rock and metal back in the day....I am 31, but most of my buddies discovered KISS when we were like 8 or 9 and dressed up like them for many Halloweens to follow.

I'm 33. However, for some reason, Kiss fell under my radar back in the 70s. Of course, I'd heard of them and even remember watching that goofy TV movie they did, but I never dressed up as Kiss for Halloween, lol!

My first TRUE exposure to Kiss was "Heaven's on Fire". Not an awful song, but by late 1984, I'd discovered Maiden, Priest, Dio and Sabbath and, well, Kiss couldn't compete, in my view.

I always did like the tune "Unholy" as it features one of the COOLEST riffs ever!

Anyway, I'm rocking out right now to "Gold". Another great tune is "Sure Know Something"....it's got great groove. "Calling Dr Love" DOES feature a kick ass riff.....and cool solo (Love Gun and Detroit also feature nice solos).

"Strutter" kicks ass, too.

This music is on par with Bon Scott era AC/DC, in my opinion. It's not complex, and some of it sounds the same, but it still rocks!

OK, so we are having the Kiss talk. Really, they are a bit of a skeleton in my closet. I never listen to them anymore, and in fact have long since traded off my CDs n' stuff. But, I'll admit that they were my first band....my first big love. I was just a kid, but I reeeeeally dug rock and roll. I traded my stormtrooper action figure to my brother for Alive II, my first record. The first record I ever bought with my own (hard saved) money was Dynasty, it skipped incidentally, a lot.

I wouldn't even put in here at all, but I wanted to tell ya Ted, your list of 70s stuff is right on target, especially Mr. Speed, Take Me....etc. I was HUGE Paul fan, and still think he's one of the better singers from that era. I did the reunion tour (two shows), but just couldn't put up with the disintegration after that. I respect you for still loving them, but Gene's loudmouth postering (and Peter and Ace leaving A SECOND TIME) just got to me in a negative way. Still, I pretty much rival any Kiss fan out there for deep, obscure, esoteric knowledge on the band, and for having (at one time or another) owned a SHITload of stuff with their name on it.

Ah Kiss, what mixed emotions you bring me.....

Kiss is a great band. They pioneered quite a bit of the american metal scene, though some may not admit it. If you haven't yet, play "War Machine" fucking LOUD.. you won't regret it.... i prefer Gene's vocals to Paul's.... but that's just me

SoundMaster said:

One of the more popular videos at that time was Kiss' "Heavens on Fire". Even at the tender age of 12 I thought it sucked. Over the course of time, I heard/saw the videos for "Thrill in the Night", "Tears are Falling" and god forgive us all, "lick it up" (easily one of the worst songs ever).

So my opinion of Kiss has never been a positive one. Flash forward a couple of years and I hear a few of their 70s tunes through a friend. Not nearly as bad as the mid 80s stuff, but not as great as so many claimed.

And I conveniently shelved Kiss and thought little of them.

So last week, while surfing Amazon for new tunes, I came across a new release entitled "Gold" (yes, a hits collection). Curiosity got the best of me (and I was bored). I D/L some tracks and was actually pleasantly surprised. 70s Kiss isn't that bad. In fact, some of the tunes were kick-ass rockin! I really can't believe I'm typing this, but a few of the songs were, gulp, heavy!

So this weekend, I bought "Gold". And I'm impressed. Now, sure, this is NOT 70s metal/rock in the same league as Led Zep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rush, etc., but the tunes kick ass!

Some of the tunes I find myself digging are:
Love Gun
I Want You
God of Thunder
I Stole Your Love
Detroit Rock City
She
Rock Bottom
Black Diamond
Firehouse
Hotter Than Hell

Ok, ok, so the lyrics are usually infantile and weak, and the vocals leave something to be desired, but it's honest rock!

Dude, I'm with you on this one. I never was a KISS fan and I always liked the heavier & more complex Hard Rock bands. But a friend of mine a few years back was playing "Who Wants To Be Lonely" and I couldn't get it out of my head. This is the album with "Tears Are Falling" also, I just can't think of the name. So I went and got it for less than $8 at Tower Records. Well, while there is some good songs on there, there also happens to be quite a few junkers IMO as well. Totally hot and cold on the songwriting. But still this is my only KISS LP to date.

Yes SoundMaster, Sure Know Something is a GREAT song. I didnt want to go there (Dynasty), but other than I Was Made For Loving You, it is an awesome album.

And Electric Wiz, that was my list! LOL :Spin:

sixxswine said:
Buy the first four KISS records, that's probably all you'll ever need...
There's also Revenge & even the Unplugged record is good....

Agreed!!! for me add Creatures of the Night! .... and I absolutely love Revenge IMO their best non makeup album and shit its better than most of the makeup albums too