Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
STRATOVARIUS Elements Pt. 2
9- 50:42 Nuclear Blast​
Powerless metal.
What in the hell is Timo Tolkki’s problem? I think the entire point of STRATOVARIUS (and all of Tolkki’s work) lately is light over darkness, beauty over ugliness, victory over adversity. Unfortunately, for some reason, be it Tolkki’s not-so-elegant mastery over the English language (or maybe it’s just plain old idiocy, I don’t know) or his pretentious, overblown compositions, he comes across as the most emotionally fragile human being on Earth who desperately needs a hug from someone. Anyone. That in itself could make for extremely moving music in most cases, but not in Timo’s case. No, Timo’s complete want of everything to be all right and groundless claims of strength expose him to be a complete fruit loop and probably an herbosexual with the way he tries to tie his own self-help blatherings in with this whole Elements concept. He’s trying so hard to tell us he’s not a frail little boy in songs titled I Walk To My Own Song, I’m Still Alive, and Awaken the Giant that it seems he’s protesting way too much, if you take my meaning. Again, an artist baring his soul can be cool, but in this case it’s comparable me making a cry for help about my weight by dropping my shorts and exposing a cottage cheese-textured ass. It’s just repulsive and nobody’s going to want to help, they’re just going to want to fucking kill me. And that’s how I feel about Timo Tolkki while listening to STRATOVARIUS.
So who likes this kind of thing? Using undiscovered evidence, I have pieced together this bullshit re-enactment of a chance meeting between STRATOVARIUS fans. Let’s listen in… One STRATOVARIUS fan is walking down the street somewhere in Anytown, USA. He sees another man walking towards him on the sidewalk, wearing a shirt emblazoned with the comfortably familiar weeblo-adorned STRATOVARIUS logo on it. “You like STRATOVARIUS?” “Yeah! You do too?’ “Definitely! This is so cool, I never knew anyone around here liked them! Dude, this is too cool, want to come to my therapy group with me on Thursday?”
It’s Jörg Michael that I feel most sorry for. When listening to previous STRATO stuff, all I’d ever heard from Jörg was RUNNING WILD’s Black Hand Inn (highest recommendations for a power metal album, no shit), which is pretty cool stuff drummerifically, but hardly something to think ‘world class talent’ from. Well after hearing some of his work with RAGE and MEKONG DELTA, I’m officially sorry that’s he’s been recording with this band for seven years now. While I assume it is a paying gig, it’s got to be completely unfulfilling… Not as unfulfilling as bassist Jari Kainulainen though, who’s barely noticeable and hasn’t even had his own solo album or resume of albums done with better bands.
What’s fun about STRATOVARIUS lately, and most telling, is that while the albums are more cheery brighto, Tolkki is completely losing it when it comes to the reality. Any negative words against Hymn to Life were considered attacks, to the point where Timo was going on the message boards of at least one webzine and blasting the writer for being unprofessional and threatening to never interview with detractors again (yeah, like someone who’s been vomitized by Hymn to Life is going to want to shoot the shit with its creator anyway). Complete five year old stomping and crying kind of stuff! And then when he realized Elements I was leaked on the internet, he and Jens became Tactical Strike Force Alpha, posting maps of where downloads were coming from and threatening to not tour those territories, and then finally pouting as they posted some samples online. How anyone could do anything but laugh at them from that point on is beyond me.
There’s a reason there’s a lot of personal attacks in reviews of Tolkki’s work lately. People realize his work is very personal. People also realize it really, really sucks. And just like current travels up the stream of someone pissing on an electric fence, so does the ire of critics travel up the personal work to the person behind it. And when Timo throws tantrums about it, it just makes it that much more fun.
On the plus side, maybe this review will gain me another excellent reading recommendation from Jens. And for those of you complaining that this isn’t a real review, just call it Seventh Coming of Fourth Dimension. The balladry is just awful beyond words, with Kotipelto sounding so inappropriate with that vibrato in these situations that I wish he’d do a magic show with some white tigers real soon. The speedier tunes are just not very superior to things that bands like EDGUY or FREEDOM CALL are doing, and I can’t think of a single song that made me go “Well this isn’t a complete waste” over five listens. And it’s not like this band invented anything to be allowed to sit on its ass and milk it to eternity. To those that say I was already prepared to dislike this before listening to it, you’re right. Elements I bored me. I was prepared to be bored again. But this is beyond boredom, it’s just sad. Not the atrocity against the ears that Hymn to Life was, but still, get this fucking thing out of my stereo.
And if I’m giving Tolkki far more ‘credit’ for the writing than is due, blame it on the wonderful record label information sheets they give which doesn’t actually talk about the album at all, making it half as useful as a sheet of paper that’s blank on both sides.

Reactions: ggggggu
Nebularus said:
So are you actually recommending that Running Wild album? Honest question - I`ve seen this album used. Should I pick it up?

Black Hand Inn is an excellent, excellent album. All I've heard are that one and the last three... the last three are awful.

But Black Hand Inn is heavy metal goodness... the intro is a bit iffy, but when it hits the first song, you'll know that the album's going to be fine from that point on.

The follow up "Masquerade" is almost as good as "Black Hand". It's all speed, but with class - I wonder what happened to Rolf that nowadays his music sounds shit...I saw them live and it was so ridiculous that they only played "the privateer" from those two albums. Suppose it's because nobody plays like Jörg Michel on these records (and now he's doing um-ta-um-ta with Strato-not-varius)

Jim LotFP said:
Black Hand Inn is an excellent, excellent album. All I've heard are that one and the last three... the last three are awful.

But Black Hand Inn is heavy metal goodness... the intro is a bit iffy, but when it hits the first song, you'll know that the album's going to be fine from that point on.
Awesome. I'll definitely be picking this up then!

What did you think of the latest Lost Horizon? I know you liked the first one (my first and only powermetal album - I can't imagine anything being better than that album!). I think the second one is great.

Oh man... latest update from the Stratovarius website...

"Statement: The Future of Stratovarius by Timo Tolkki

I am in the process of talking seriously with each band member about the future of Stratovarius.

There are lots of rumours circling around and this statement is issued to clear some of those.

The band is in a severe crisis at the moment.

Looking back now, it is very clear to me why the situation has catapulted into crisis.

I have my own way to lead Stratovarius and since being in this band since 84 (almost 20 years) I have had a very clear vision about the musical direction of Strato. To put it short and simple, this is my band.
I decide what Stratovarius sounds like. Stylists might decide how Stratovarius looks like. I don´t give a fuck about that though, I love music and we are not some fucking Backstreet Boys. We eat metal and shit chains.

Before some of you start shouting "dictator", I would like to tell you that we have always shared the income from the band equally. Everyone gets the same from all income. I can tell you many bands when it´s not like this.

Up until very last weeks I though things were fine, there have been arguments, but nothing fancy. At this point I feel that my vision of where to take Stratovarius next is threatened. Along with many other things, which I cannot tell you due to legal reasons. Let me just say this: when the things get so heated that some people in the band enter into fistfight, then something is wrong, wouldn´t you agree?

I am talking with Kotipelto and Kainulainen here in Finland at the moment and next week I fly to New York to talk to Johansson. Then I fly to Germany to talk to Michael. And then I have to think.

So you guys have to wait for some more time for some more news.

At this point it seems 95% sure that 3 bandmembers have to leave. I really hope I can work things out with them, but if not, then they will have to go.

And to those who say I should leave Stratovarius I say, hmmm well, perhaps it´s better that I don´t say anything, so I just say Fuck Off! I am not leaving anywhere, we just signed this new deal and I am going to continue writing new songs and there will be more albums, no matter what the line up
will be.

Stay tuned for more..."

Is it me, or is this not quite the ideal way to handle problems within the band?

Glad to see they're enjoying the new $3 million contract they just signed. heh.

I'm cutting and pasting off blabbermouth this time:

"STRATOVARIUS keyboardist Jens Johansson has offered the following comment via the group's official message board regarding the status of the band's lineup:

"Within the band we made the agreement that [guitarist/founder] Timo [Tolkki] will decide who plays in the band, I mean on the records, live etc. I actually drew up the agreement myself, so that none of us would be able to entertain any illusions of 'hijacking' the band by a democratic majority vote or something. To me, I think this is a useful arrangement, I would say even if I get booted out as a result, believe it or not! I am a man of principles. And anyone is free to leave on their own volition too, of course. It's a band, not a concentration camp, like Yngwie used to say.

"I can assure you, nobody feels like leaving voluntarily. But what goes on in the hearts and minds of Finns is sometimes difficult to detect. Especially if they don't answer their phone!!!! If Timo wants to have new people in the band I would of course be very sad, because I quite enjoy working with these guys. But there is nothing I can do about how people feel. Either musically or about other things. Timo is a stubborn guy, or he wouldn't have gotten this far!"

sheesh, what a mess. Shouldn't they have figured all this out and announced it AFTERWARDS?

Maybe Tolkki found out the other guys weren't so hot about Hymn to Life after all.

And you thought I was being funny... this guy has lost all his marbles. Hope that $3.5 million deal was fun and exciting for at least a couple seconds...

http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=17065

STRATOVARIUS guitarist Timo Tolkki has posted the following message on the band's official web site:

"After speaking with all the band members I am now travelling to Berlin to talk with the Sanctuary team about the future of STRATOVARIUS.

"At this point I cannot say more about the situation. I am very sorry if my statements have offended someone. I have been under heavy pressure lately and my therapist has prescribed me some heavy antidepressants. They make it even more difficult for me to control my temper.

"I have received death threats, which has forced me to hire 2 bodyguards. They are both former military people with martial arts training. This is sad really, but what can you do?

"Anyway, I apologize once more if I have offended anyone with my comments. I hope you understand what kind of pressure we all are living in at the moment.

"I would like to say that things are not always what they seem. The music world can be very frustrating, largely due to legal and business matters. I hope I can tell you some news after returning from Berlin."

I was just wondering if you ever mailed it out to everyone or if it had even been back from the printer's....

thanks,
garth:erk:

horggard said:
I was just wondering if you ever mailed it out to everyone or if it had even been back from the printer's....

thanks,
garth:erk:

As the front page of www.lotfp.com says, it should go out REAL soon... it's been ridiculous^2 (my ridiculous lazy which took us through what, mid-November, multiplied by the problems getting it printed ridiculous)... it's back in the hands of my usual printer and crossing fingers I should have it back sometime this coming week and they'll mail out immediately (envelopes already addressed and stamped, just waiting for me to feed them)...

Work is going briskly on the followup as well, should be sent off to the printers before this month is out for sure.

As it is LotFP's policy to correct inaccuracies:

Jim LotFP said:
And just like current travels up the stream of someone pissing on an electric fence, so does the ire of critics travel up the personal work to the person behind it.

Mr. Johansson has informed me that this is probably untrue.

"If you study a flash photograph of someone pissing you may discover that
there are quite large air gaps between the droplets."

So current wouldn't be likely to travel up from the fence... anyone want to test this? No? Me neither. We'll assume he's right.

...not even going to ask why he would be looking at flash photographs of pee to know this...