LotFP interviews with Åkerfeldt in 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002 back online

Those were cool interviews. Interesting seeing how things evolved over time.

BTW: How did you come to move to Finland ? Are you originally from Finland ?

How much of a shock was it moving HOTlanta to OMGBRRCOLD Finland ?

Hahaha, in the 2002 interview Mikael says,

"it's still a fact in the States that we're a smaller name than Nevermore. Maybe not anymore. When we did that tour, we wouldn't be comfortable headlining over a band like Nevermore. I would never want to headline over them. It's a respect thing. I don't care, it's the same situation with Opeth and bands bigger than us that I wouldn't open for. Nevermore, I wouldn't have them open for us because of respect, especially now that we've been on tour with them. It's not going to happen."

But as we all know, Nevermore was in fact support for Opeth on the first leg of the Ghost Reveries tour. I wonder what, if anything, changed? Perhaps Mikael never foresaw Opeth becoming more popular in America than Nevermore. But it's still interesting that Mike would say that and then as soon as Opeth hits it huge, Nevermore is opening for them.

What's sad for me is that Pelican and Fireball Ministry opened when I saw them, so I missed Nevermore altogether :( Godless Endeavor is a killer album!

Liquid Diamonds said:
Yeah, I'd rather have seen Pelican too. Anyone knopw what they were like live? They played Glasgow last month and I had to miss it :cry:.

pelican was ok. they had very shitty production. they need to ditch the rectum friers. i couldn't pick out a single note that they were playing. it was just mush. every once in a while i could really pick up on what they were doing. it was somewhat repetitive, but they did some neet stuff.

oh, and those are probably the 4 coolest mike interviews that i have ever read.

I thought Pelican was terrific, except for one thing- all their songs went on about five minutes too long. There is a point in any instrumental wherein the listener says to himself, "this song needs to end now." That point came and went in every song Pelican played. Don't get me wrong, I love March to the Sea as much as anyone, but it gets boring after about 15 minutes.

Fireball Ministry on the other hand, is absolute shit live. I have heard their recorded music since then, and I liked it. They are decent on CD but horrific in concert. I wouldn't see them again but I might buy their CDs.

Jim LotFP said:
I'm so American I'm in pain being in a "social democracy".

But I'm here because of a woman.

A lesson to all you new Opeth kids: Long term relationships work. :p

Ah that's sort of what I gathered from looking at your web site. That's cool. She must be one heck of a woman to move to another country for her!

Hope you can deal with the weather. I'm so spoiled by good weather living in Northern California that it'd take a LOT to make me move anywhere cold. ;)

Great interviews btw, if I forgot to mention.