Lotto Numbers, modular math..its metal by numbers.

CrazyGuitarJason

Threve : The magic number
Oct 15, 2006
in front of a computer in satx.
So I hit my head in the bathroom while hanging a clock, but instead of creating a flux capacitor like Dr. Brown in Back To The Future I came up with this.

The end product will be a series of notes that are random using of the circle of tones. After it is created, I will try to make sense of the randomness by looking for triads, sequences or common intervals. First we have to establish the order of tones.

Code:
notes :   C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B
index :   0 1  2 3  4 5 6  7 8  9 10 11

Using modular arithmetic we will restrict the sum of any two digits to the above series (0-11). Like military time where 13:00 is really 1pm, or 23:00 is 11pm. Modulus is a fancy was of saying divide two numbers and ignore everything except the remainder. So something like 17 mod 12 would be the same as saying 17/12 = 1 remainder 5, only use the 5. Or 23 mod 12 = 11, since 12 divides 23 once and has a remainder of 11.

Okay lets get some numbers. so I googled up 'lotto numbers' and found this from indystar.com.
Meanwhile, none of the tickets sold for the Powerball game Wednesday night matched all six numbers drawn, which were 36, 42, 45, 53, 54 and Powerball 36. The Power Play number was 2.

Now lets make this into a form so that we can use the circle of twelve tones.
If you use windows open up the calculator and switch the view to scientific, there you can use the 'mod' key to make it easy. PUnch in 36 then hit the mod key and hit 12 then equals.

Code:
First     number 36 ->  36 mod 12 = 0  => use the index and we have 'C'
Second    number 42 ->  42 mod 12 = 6  => use the index and we have 'F#'
Third     number 45 ->  45 mod 12 = 9  => A
Fourth    number 53 ->  53 mod 12 = 5 =>  F
Fifth     number  54 -> 54 mod 12 = 6 => F#
Sixth     number  36 -> 36 mod 12 = 0 => C
Seventh   number 2 ->   2 mod 12 = 2 => D

and of course 21 and 12 :D

21 mod 12 = 1 -> C#
12 mod 12 = 0 -> C

Our notes C F# A F F# C D
Intervals : C to F# = augmented 4th (this is cool)
F# to A = minor third
A to F = minor sixth

You can gather up a set of 12 numbers then you can place them on a clock (which is a little weird since you start at 0). Now you can have some fun.

funniest thing ive seen in a long time :
YouTube - Metal By Numbers

Cool idea what about this take every tone starting with a and kick everaone included in c major 7 add9 out try it, you'll get a sort of strange sounding scale with some severly fucked up distances like for example
1st to 2nd : a half
2nd to 3rd : one and a half or
7th to root again : a half

Question: does that already exist?
How do you call it and where does it start usually?