Lou Reed & Metallica: The View (90-second Preview)

Injustice For All: The Lou Reed/Metallica Album
Lulu is bold, uncompromising, and totally unlistenable
By Chuck Klosterman

"The universe is predisposed to hate this new Lou Reed/Metallica album, Lulu, and I totally understand why. It's not really designed for people who like music. It sounds like what it is: an elderly misanthrope reciting paradoxical aphorisms over a collection of repetitive, adrenalized sludge licks. Anyone who tries to suggest it's surprising in any way needs to reexamine his or her propensity for being surprised. I'm sure there will be a sector of Metallica's core audience that feels "betrayed," mostly because Metallica fans enjoy the sensation of betrayal...

[An abridged list of things Metallica has done to cause its fan base to feel betrayed:

getting haircuts,
making a video for "One,"
headlining a Lollapalooza tour no one really liked,
responsibly dealing with their alcoholism,
writing a song that required James Hetfield to sing on key,
hiring a replacement for bassist Cliff Burton,
replacing the bassist who replaced Cliff Burton,
not having enough bass on … And Justice for All,
not writing songs that were 11 minutes long,
suing the same people who purchased their T-shirts,
writing the song "2x4,"
wearing trousers that cost more than $33,
and transitioning away from a lyrical preoccupation with killing other people and toward a lyrical preoccupation with killing themselves.] "

Injustice For All: The Lou Reed/Metallica Album
Lulu is bold, uncompromising, and totally unlistenable
By Chuck Klosterman

"The universe is predisposed to hate this new Lou Reed/Metallica album, Lulu, and I totally understand why. It's not really designed for people who like music. It sounds like what it is: an elderly misanthrope reciting paradoxical aphorisms over a collection of repetitive, adrenalized sludge licks. Anyone who tries to suggest it's surprising in any way needs to reexamine his or her propensity for being surprised. I'm sure there will be a sector of Metallica's core audience that feels "betrayed," mostly because Metallica fans enjoy the sensation of betrayal...

[An abridged list of things Metallica has done to cause its fan base to feel betrayed:

getting haircuts,
making a video for "One,"
headlining a Lollapalooza tour no one really liked,
responsibly dealing with their alcoholism,
writing a song that required James Hetfield to sing on key,
hiring a replacement for bassist Cliff Burton,
replacing the bassist who replaced Cliff Burton,
not having enough bass on … And Justice for All,
not writing songs that were 11 minutes long,
suing the same people who purchased their T-shirts,
writing the song "2x4,"
wearing trousers that cost more than $33,
and transitioning away from a lyrical preoccupation with killing other people and toward a lyrical preoccupation with killing themselves.] "
that made my day, hahah

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165730

"Lulu" is likely to sell between 12,000 and 15,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to industry web site Hits Daily Double. The estimate was based on one-day sales reports compiled after the record arrived in stores on November 1 via Warner Bros. Records (one day earlier in the rest of the world through Universal Music). By contrast, METALLICA's last studio effort, 2008's "Death Magnetic", sold 490,000 copies in just a three-day sales window after it came out on a Friday, with sales tracked through the following Sunday.

Even METALLICA's controversial 2003 set, "St. Anger", moved 418,000 copies in its initial week of release, which was also shortened to four days.

METALLICA's previous three studio outings, 1997's "Reload", 1996's "Load" and the 1991 "black album" all earned six-figure first week sales as well.

SUCK IT!

I know that article is showing how low Lulu's sales are compared to Metallica cd's, but I am still surprised that it is selling that many units.

Hey Sweden how is Lulu at number nine on the charts in your country? Widespread deafness?

its actually quite upsetting to know that this steaming pile of shit, even being their lowest ever in terms of sales, still sells more than the average Devin Townsend cd

Well, will it be a wake-up call for Metallica? Doubt it but it sure is nice to see them get a black eye ;)

Aren't there supposed to be people responsible for releasing albums at their label? People that should do something like quality control? At some point people at their label (they still on a label, right?) should have listen to this album and said "oh shit, this is awesome, let's print this CD and promote the hell out of this crap". I wonder, was Lars (and his lawyers) in that room at that moment?