Loudness Maximization?

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
So over the past few months I have been kicking around the threads here about the subject and for some reason I am not getting it. Not getting it in the fact that my mixes never seem "loud enough" and Not getting in it terms of understanding how its done properly.

I think my main issue with mixing right now is really how to handle the Master bus. I have a fairly decent understanding of compression, multi band compressions, getting a good tone thats usable with guitars bass & drums but whenever I try to get my mixes loud it always winds up just a muddy mess.

I dont have the best plugins in the world, I have the Waves platinum bundle and Ozone but every time I try and use the Loudness Maximiser with either one the low end just gets unbelievable uncontrollable.

I know its not as simple as HEY DUDE DO THIS! and you will be golden, but any pointers on where to start on the master bus to begin to get things loud?

Any help would be appreciated.

you DEFINITELY have to use a low shelf on the slate kicks to roll off 5-10db starting at like 115hz or so, the slate samples have way too much low end in them to use for metal

the toms can also be really fucking boomy so I usually high pass those too

then slap the GSSL on your master bus, crank up the loudness maximizer in ozone and be done with it

ARV ... DUDE ... you are the man!

The EQ on the kicsk and toms cleaned it right up ... wow

That SSL Comp and the Loudness Maxximiser combo is incredible. I cant believe it was so simple :)

I was WAYYYYYY over complicating things...

So here are the 2 versions:

Sonitus Compression / Ozone Loudness Maxx
http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/djent.mp3

SSL Comp / Ozone Loudness Maxx
http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/djent_ssl.mp3

The difference is night and day!!

Work on that guitar tone, it will increase your mix ten fold. What are you using for guitars?

I kinda like that tone, its different ...lol

Its a 5150 recorded at low volume cause I live in an apartment :(

Setup:
Custom 7 String w/ Bare Knuckle Miracle Man 7's
TS9 with Keely JRC45 Mod
5150 w/ Integrated Quads
Vintage Marshall w/ G12 30s
SM57 just off cone to bottom right straight on
Ibanez 5 String bass > Tube screamer into my interface

One other thing you could try is sucking some of the low-mids out of the bass guitar. Personally, I like hearing the sub bass from the bass guitar and let the kick fill in the space around 100Hz. A lot of the power of the mix comes from the low-mid range and will limit how loud you can get things if it's not real balanced.

For me, I always get the loudest mixes just by clipping. Get a good balanced mix and just throw a clipper on the master and drive the gain until ~11-9db RMS.

Otherwise sounds pretty good man!

someone can explain something about using the compressor in this situation ,how much gain reduction you guys usually can get away until it sound weird?? and also what is the objective of the compressor in this case what am looking for? tame peaks of just squash the mix ?

just trying to understand the procedure , thanks in advance

Glue, quash some rogue transients, pumping if that's what you're looking for. You will hear things 'come together'. Gr is up to you. Some mixes need to breath, some need to be squashed. Play around with your attack and release times. Low ratio. I'm
no expert, but those are some things i consider whilst applying master bus comp.

Glue, quash some rogue transients, pumping if that's what you're looking for. You will hear things 'come together'. Gr is up to you. Some mixes need to breath, some need to be squashed. Play around with your attack and release times. Low ratio. I'm
no expert, but those are some things i consider whilst applying master bus comp.

yeah i thought is all about the context of the mix, i will give it a try to this and see what work best for me, thanks dude :headbang:

gclip. gclip. then gclip again.

If by then not loud enough (which I doubt), put a maximizer/brickwall limiter on top.