Jun 3, 2005
Hi guys

i got these choices:

> M-audio DMP3
> VTB-1
> Presonus Tube Pre
> Presonus Blue Tube
> Art Tube Studio V3

Which one of these u guys recommend me and why (technically)?

Priority on sound quality improvement most then the "plus" advantages.

Thx in advance!

stay away from the bluetube! Its a very clean (although brittle) sounding pre, but the tubes sound sucks, even after I put some mullards in there. Ive heard good things about the cheaper Presonus actually, I've had good experiences with Art, and the VTB-1 looks really nice

i have the VTB1...it's a solid unit, with a really good HiZ in btw. the tube blend hasn't been of much use really, at least on extreme settings, but with a slight blend it *can* add some flavor to some stuff.
most of all, it's clean and true.....character isn't its strongest point really. try to run it hot, and it will just fuzz up instead of adding colour like an higher end pre would. but once again, for the price it's great.

as for the question how it compares to interface's pres....well, i think i prefer the RME fireface pre's just a bit more for that uncolored natural sound, but before i got this (and had a profire 610, haha) i deffo prefered the vtb1, so i guess it's not too shabby ;)

bottom line, my vote goes to the VTB1. for the price, i doubt it can be beat.

Worth to note that the preamp stage on the presonus firestudio/project is bypassed when used a line and/or inst input signal, the built in preamps are only used when mic inputs are in use, i just read it in the manual :erk: did i read it right?

Worth to note that the preamp stage on the presonus firestudio/project is bypassed when used a line and/or inst input signal, the built in preamps are only used when mic inputs are in use, i just read it in the manual :erk: did i read it right?

Yes, but that's normal. Microphone level is a lot lower than line level, which is why you need a preamp in the first place.

Thanks for the review Fragle! I might just get a VTB-1 and call it a day for my recording situation until I can afford an RME.