Low end down the middle?

GabeFry

Apr 18, 2008
Do you guys make the low end/sub mono when mixing/mastering? I've read in different tutorials suggesting this be done. In practice using Ozone 5 and in the stereo image section putting the lows at -100% I guess it what would be (pulling the fader all the way down) on the low end band.

Thanks!

Only for bass drops and the low rumble bass track.

I like a stereo kick track, not literally 1 kick per side, but yeah summed stereo.

Well in your mixes you can simply keep bass, kick and subdrops as mono tracks in center. I personally hate intruding mastersection for more then some very minor eq and then loudness boost.

Well in your mixes you can simply keep bass, kick and subdrops as mono tracks in center. I personally hate intruding mastersection for more then some very minor eq and then loudness boost.

This is what I was going to say. Usually all that stuff is centered anyway.

I hear mono sub low trick can be beneficial though.

Is there a reason not to have phase accuracy for fast paced stuff?

More along the lines of a stereo mix on multiple satellites, and or phase interaction of things like room tracks that still carry a lot of low end. depending on the crossover point at which all frequencies below are made mono, having more than one source I.e. "mics" still has a phase relationship that potentially cancels when summed to mono.

I have been wanting to try M/S processing and some stereo to mono crossover processing in my next mix.

I think the easiest experiment to try would be to split the master with a crossover, send the lows to a track that is converted to mono. Personally I would start with 60 Hz and mess around with the crossover point. Like RedDog said, if you have a surround sound setup things that were recorded in phase when played in the surround sound setup could easily cancel out due to the fact that there is still a lot of low end energy in the satellites. Summing up all the low end from both left and right and sending it to a sub or center will be more compatible with all range of systems from 5.1, 2.1, stereo and mono.

For stereo and mono setups it could be easy to do basic M/S processing. On the master create a low shelf that removes lows on the side channel and then inversely boost the same frequency with another shelf on the mid channel. The end result is that there will be a smooth transition from the lows going form stereo to mono, the lower the frequency, the more mono it will be, or in other words, the stereo width will be less as the frequency goes down and will be at mono where the shelf is at maximum. +/- 20dB shelf should be plenty to effectively make the bottom end effectively mono, hell even +/- 6 or 12 dB would work, you would have to experiment and also experiment with the crossover point (q of the shelf, and the resonant frequency etc.)

In what context? Faster paced stuff, or to keep it phase accurate on a 5.1 system?

I have brainworx hybrid 2 on the 2bus making 80hz and down mono and widening the stereo image. The mono shit probably doesn't make a huge difference but a friend of mine said he was trying it out and it's in the same plugin as my stereo widener so I figured why not. It's been on everything I've done for a while now.