Help with low end woof in amp sim

deffpony

May 16, 2010
I have searched for this and no luck. I'm trying to get a guitar tone that is close to the Parkway Drive Horizons record. I have something very close but where I am struggling is in the low end.

Their tone has the typical woofy/pumping noise in the low end which really brings out the lows without making the mix muddy.*

I'm using revalver and I have found that since I'm not using a real tube amp it's pretty much impossible to recreate this pump sound with just make overpowering lows.*

My question is if anyone knows a way to simulate this sound. I typically use waves c4 before the amp sim to tame the lows and I tried placing it after the cab as well and messed with the release and attack to get a pump between 100-200 Hz but no luck. I would greatly appreciate the advice.*

No it is not the bass guitar. I have trained my ears to be able to differentiate between. Ass and guitar for the most part. This pumping is even more evident when the guitars play by themselves.

Take off C4 and see if you have the bass response that you're looking for. Personally, I only put a multiband on if it needs it, and it seems like you're just putting it on just because. If you take off the C4 and if it still doesn't have the bass response that you're looking for, then try some other amp sims. Personally, I find that Poulin's Lecto amp sim brings some pretty good bass response on palm mutes, but experiment. If you still can't find an amp sim that has the right sound, then look at the rest of the chain. It could be that your DI box isn't translating the low end well enough. It could even be the playing style.

I'd say this is more in the way the album is mixed rather than the tone, there is a LOT of bus compression in Horizons. That pump you're hearing could be 2bus.

Do they use real amps? (not familiar with the band) If so, that's one reason there's a difference, and it is hard to capture the palm muting chug with a sim.

What is 2bus. I never used to use c4 before my amp but after I tried for ages to get a solid tone I failed with loads of mud until I used c4. I have even used a combination of pod farm and revalver because I like the mid character from revalver but the low end bloom of pod farm is better. This helped but it is thesame if I turn up the lows in revalver by itself.

I'm not unhappy with where the lows sit, I am trying to get the pump that I'm fairly certain is being obtained with a real cabinet and some kind of compression on the horizons record.