Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
LUCIFERION – THE APOSTATE
Listenable Records - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

luciferion-theapostate.jpg

Cult and underground death metal band Luciferion have released quite an enjoyable and interesting release after 7 years since their debut album. Featuring members of Dark Tranquillity and Lost Horizon, there is no doubt that this band has talented players and it is definitely showcased with the music.

At the surface, The Apostate is death metal with all the blast beats, fast riffing, shredding solos and deep growling singing that you could want. But you will also find slower tempos, groove and plenty of melodies and once you start submerging yourself in the music, you are going to see that there is a lot more going on. For starters, the album is filled with samples of characters discussing what sounds like a battle between humans and aliens or other beings. One of the characters reminds me a lot of Kiefer Sutherland.

Secondly, there is an abundant use of synthesizers in The Apostate. They give the album a “spacey” feel to it, something you might hear in a horror sci-fi film and they are used perfectly that I could not imagine how this album would sound without them. The sound and use is nothing like what you will find in prog bands and symphonic black metal bands. They are used subtlety to add depth, texture and mood to the overall sound. Just imagine how “New World To See” would sound at the end, without they synthesizers and you will understand why they are just totally invaluable to the band.

The one negative that I have is that what is actually The Apostate is extremely short, it is only 5 songs and probably just over 30 minutes, which makes it EP length. The rest of the album is filled with the Celtic Frost cover “Circle of the Tyrants” and the 1994 The Demon demo which sounds very good for a demo and the music is just like The Apostate but without a lot of use of synthesizers. This demo is very enjoyable but I would rather have had newer material. Overall, this is an album for those looking for something different with their death metal.

Listenable Records Website

This album is a fuckin awesome. I think they should have just released it without the old tracks. I'm disappointed that they didn't have more new material instead.

And by the way, the film quotes are from Dark City. And yes, it is Keifer Sutherland.