11. Graced By Fire

12. Hymns Of Immortals

Label: Listenable Records
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.luciferion.com/
GRADE:
8/10

I never was exposed to LUCIFERION their first time around. My buddy Mike, yeah the infamous Mike, always told me their first album was awesome, but I just never really got around to checking them out. Fast forward to 2003, I start seeing their name in magazines all of the sudden. Coincidentally, me and Mike had often discussed the whereabouts of the band during one of our many smokeout sessions, as they hadn't released anything in 7 years.

Seeing that The Apostate is my first real exposure to this very talented band, forgive me if I am not completely up to speed. I will say this with the utmost respect, I get the same feeling I get when listening to MITHRAS. This is good stuff, akin to PESTILENCE on Spheres or NOCTURNUS on any of their cds.

The Apostate appears to be a concept album and takes soundbites from the film Dark City. The title track is a 6 part epic, lasting a little over 9 minutes, ambitious in scope and vision. Repeated listenings are rewarding, I assure you. The incredible groove at the beginning of "Become Or Be Gone" is nice, then it switches tempos from grind to a thrash beat. Like the title track, there is a whole lot going on here and it may take awhile for all of it to fully sink in, but this is one of those records that is a bit of work to grasp. The keys and guitars merge to create a killer wall of sound.

Get ready to blow your load when you hear the soloing sections on "New World To See," absolutely stunning. This is probably my favorite track as well, very epic feel. This is followed by one of the more original covers of CELTIC FROST's "Circle Of The Tyrants" to come across these ears.

The last five songs are demos from their last album, quality is very good and definitely worth checking out. All in all, a stellar effort and a group I will definitely be keeping an eye on.

PJ