Ludicra - Another Great Love Song

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
I'm starting a new thread because the search is defunct and I don't want to search for it manually.

anyway, I saw this CD at the store today. Knowing it's one of Cobbett's projects I assume it's good, but can someone give me a quick rundown on it so I can determine if it's worth my time or not?

OK so now Ludicra have a NEW album out on Alternative Tentacles. Heh, still haven't heard the debut but this new one is getting amazingly good write ups...

What better way to "celebrate" another absurd election season then for AT to release its first black metal album! Ludicra's style is raw, primal, dissonant and ugly and sets itself apart by incorporating untraditional songwriting and elements of avant-rock, crust and death metal. Ludicra's appeal goes beyond black metal's confines focusing on harsh reality and apocalyptic atmospheres instead of mindless devilry, recalling brutal voices of AT's past like Logical Nonsense, Dead & Gone and Neurosis. After one highly-regarded album, Hollow Psalms, on Life is Abuse Records (Dystopia, Tarantula Hawk, Yeti), Ludicra has joined the consistently eclectic AT roster for its second album Another Great Love Song.

Ludicra is also a very very black metal entity. With keyboards and raging guitars and blasting drums and screams of triumph and despair, it's got a density of sound put to tape that incorporates both the heaviest violence and the prettiest melancholy...in fact a lot of this is really quite pretty, to our ears, when they get into a midtempo plod and let the little melodies up for air... Black metal fans will find this band bows to no one, even as it reminds us of Enslaved, old Emperor, Opeth, old Solefald, and others of their ilk. Ludicra, however, are urban not ancient, emotional not evil...musically they do conjure the wolves and longboats of Nordic black metal even though any such references (there IS a song called "1000 Wolves") are allegorical in nature.

Has anyone heard this new one?

hmmmm

I suppose I could give it a whirl and if I don't like it, it should make some good tradebait from the HoM and Slough Feg fanboys around here

I really don't have much more to add than this last post re: this album.

JayKeeley said:
I finally got round to listening to this, and it's pretty good -- Ive only heard it once so it's hard to judge. To me it's like taking all the 'black metal' elements of "The Bastard" and making an entire album out of it. Along with all guitars, I guess Cobbet must write the melody lines in some of those clean vocals as well, because those harmonies are similar too how Tanaka might have sung them once upon a time.

This is very much like a "prog-heavy metal meets black metal" album (obviously). I really don't know how many riffs Cobbet could have up his sleeve. Along with HoM, Slough Feg, and Ludicra, he lashes out these metal riffs like there's no tomorrow.

I still haven't listened to it in a while justthrough lack of time....comparing it to HoM or Slough Feg etc is futile because obviously there are zero vocal hooks, aka no Scalzi.

The KEY component is Cobbet. It's his trademarks throughout, so again, if you like The Bastard type riffs (lots of tremelo picking, harmonies over thrashy drunk blastbeats etc) and can handle these absurd vocalists screaming like they're auditioning for Darkthrone, then yeah, it's pretty cool.

It is like black metal for punks. Fans of Darkthrone, Hammers, and Weakling will enjoy.

I like Ludicra... they aren't absolutely groundbreaking, but it's worth your money I'd say. A new sort of Black Metal...

haha, I was listening to this for 20 minutes before I opened the booklet and went "holy shit! That's a WOMAN doing those screams!?!"

not being gender biased or anything, but you don't see women doing this sort of thing all that often.

Hmmm... not bad black-influenced heavy metal.

I'd be reluctant to call it "black" metal, but to be cliched I'd call it Hammers of Misfortune plus Black metal influence minus HoM vocals. (yeah, I'm being really creative about the discriptors here)

I don't know where you get the Weakling comparison from though.

Weakling = black metal for punks.

The same reason The Fucking Champs are a punk/metal riff band.

The same reason Cobbet and TFC are like riff partners in the San Fran. circuit (lots of mutual admiration).

Ludicra is what happens when HoM make Black Metal (that's why I said the album was like all the BM bits rfom The Bastard).

Weakling is what happens when The Fucking Champs make Black Metal.

etc etc.

I've yet to be really blown away by Weakling. It's good, no doubt, but based on all the praise I expected more.

I think my biggest prob is that it's 72 minutes long.

I think that Weakling has a great groove to it, yet is simply raw and brutal in execution. I admit that yea, 72 mins over 5 songs is a lot to sit through however.