I'm a new (sort of) fan of Evergrey & need advice!

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Good morning/afternoon/evening all;

I've recently become infatuated with Evergrey's music. But let me go back in time a bit....

Two years ago, I heard the song "Rulers of the Mind", thought it kicked total ass, and immediatley set out to purchase the CD it's from, "In Search of Truth".
I was somewhat disappointed. And, looking back, I'm not quite sure why.
All of the elements of what makes a good band are there.....but, for some reason, I just didn't "get it".

So, the disc was relagated to the CD shelf where it collected almost 24 months worth of the dust of time.

Flash-forward to 2004. I learn that Evergrey has just released a new CD.....so, sparked by intrigue, I proceed to check out the record (on display at a local metal CD store). And I LOVE IT!

So, of course, I go back to "In Search of Truth" and give it another spin. Today, it sounds like a totally different record, to me!?!?!?!? All it needed was time.....and the perspective that 2 years can slightly change your perceptions! The album RULES!

Advice needed: which is the next logical EG album to invest in?
Would you say "Recreation Day"? Or, one of the first two releases?

Rec Day, and then all the others. It's funny how time changes things. I've had that happen to a few bands where I got a promo cd or something and think it sounds like crap. I hold onto for a few years and then realize, holy crap that CD rocks.

Same type of thing here too (and its happened with other bands). o_O

Folks on Portnoy forum mentioned Evergrey and heard about them via Prog Power talk. Picked up ISOTT - spun a few times - it was 'cool' - but that's about as far as it went - it just didn't move me at all.

Placed it in the collection and it SAT for at LEAST a year.... then they had that miniseries TAKEN on scifi channel - my buddy is a big nut about alien abductions and was talking about the miniseries - then it clicks and I go "I have a disc you might like to listen to". I burn him a copy but afterwards, leave the disc out and start playing it myself again.

:OMG:
DO NOT ASK ME why but alluva sudden, EVERYTHING CLICKED. It was so weird. I was like 'How could I not be jazzed by these guys before??! What the FUCK?!?! They're awesome..." I kept finding more and more stuff I loved about the album and the band and that was it.

Since Recreation Day and Inner Circle, they've been cemented in my top five bands - pretty neat for a band I didn't really know anything by just a few short years ago..... :D