10. In Nothing
11. Mot Natt
Label: Elitist Records
Release date: 2004
Artist site:
http://www.lunarisweb.com/
GRADE:
9/10

Those of you who've been around the Royal Carnage website since the beginning or have found the time to go and peruse the many different reviews, may have come across my review of LUNARIS' debut. I wasn't particularly kind to them in said review and yes, I still stand behind the review of ...The Infinite.
I gotta give it to Elitist/Earache for sending me this cd after the reception the last one received. And I must say I'm impressed by Cyclic, very impressed. It's an album with many layers, lots of things going on, and will most likely go over a lot of people's heads. Oh, and it also features "a wealth of special guests" including Steve Digiorgio, Eric Peterson, Asgeir Mickelson, and Sverd.
This isn't to say that Cyclic is by any means the greatest release ever, but it's leaps and bounds beyond their previous outing. My main complaint would be the thin production, but I also realize this helps to capture some of the cold, clinical element present that I like. So it's one of those where sometimes the production fits and sometimes it doesn't, making for an often frustrating, yet somehow redeeming, listening experience.
Standouts in my mind include the first song, "Mendacities Of A Corporate Messiah," and its fierce blasting (the drumwork is incredible) and nice use of synths. I like the old school riff that is the foundation of the next song, but the clean vocal performance here is subpar, in my opinion. The technical, high speed blast returns on "Lessons In Futility," another maze of a song. I really like around the 1:45 mark, when it takes on an old DIMMU BORGIR feel, especially in the keys.
It's DREAM THEATER/YES meets EMPEROR on "Slaves Of Opinion," there is no other way to describe it. Love the synth intro to "When It Ends,' which continues underneath the tide of guitars and vocals throughout. "Casualties Of Piece" (and yes, I know how to spell peace...) is the absolute standout track on the album, with the clean vocal actually being the best moment. Now, why can't they hit it like this every time? Seriously, this moment will be a highlight of 2004 songwise for me.
It's back to brutal black metal mayhem on "Existence Unveiled," the precision they wield of their weapon is astounding. Did I mention earlier I was impressed? Ah, I guess I did... In any case, the epic "Altruismens Gravol" has a nice Hammond organ sounding touch to it, the tempo very subdued. It builds up to an awesome crescendo, think ANATHEMA, before going into an old school MY DYING BRIDE kinda groove. Very cool, indeed.
"In Nothing" has a hellishly futuristic vibe to it, pulsing relentlessly. We are also treated to another excellent clean vocal moment, very BORKNAGAR/EMPEROR/ARCTURUS sounding. I'm sure fans of those bands will wet their collective pants upon hearing this song. And no, I did not!
Cyclic ends with a spacey outro entitled "Mot Natt," and it completes the saga rather well. All in all, a victory for LUNARIS, congratulations on a job well done, and ten steps in the right direction! I have been converted.

PJ