Lycanthia

StephenSLR

Oct 11, 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.lycanthia.com
Hi all,
I recently joined Lycanthia a band in Sydney. I quite like their sound and was wondering if anyone here may be interested in giving them a listen and letting me know what you think.

Their website address is
http://www.lycanthia.f2s.com

Their is also a yahoo group. To join send an email to
Lycanthia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Most of the band caught the gig in Sydney.
I hope to add some Opeth influences to our sound, we have also recruited a new drummer who thinks likewise - his favourite band is Dream Theater.

s

i think the name opeth somes from the word otep which means city on the moon or something.

and as for lycanthia

its good to see theres bands like this around australia, sounds extremely doomy. i liked it, good luck in the band.

Fallen, Otep is the name of a rap-metal band. I won't go into details. ;)

Opeth got their name from a novel by the author something-or-other Wilbur (I don't really remember the name), in which there's a lost city on the moon called Opet. They just added an "h" and that was it.

I'd love to listen to Lycanthia. I work for Nocturnal Hall, and we're always interested in new, underground bands. If you guys agree, could you send me a promo tape or CD, so I can check it out? If I like it it'll be up at the site. If anything it'll give you guys a bit of publicity.

In any case, if you decide to do so, PM me and I'll tell you my address.

illbeleavinnow said:
I'd love to listen to Lycanthia. I work for Nocturnal Hall, and we're always interested in new, underground bands. If you guys agree, could you send me a promo tape or CD, so I can check it out? If I like it it'll be up at the site. If anything it'll give you guys a bit of publicity.

In any case, if you decide to do so, PM me and I'll tell you my address.

There is a facility to download MP3's from the Discography link on the site.

Have a little patience eh!!? ;)

I bought a copy of 'Myriad' from Metal Mayhem in Melbourne a couple of days after the Opeth gig.... THough I've had so mcu stuff on my plate (music and otherwise) in the last 2 weeks I haven't been able to give it much of a chance yet, and hence it has only received a couple o' 'spins'........

From memory though, it definitely show promise..... I'll get back to you in a day or so when I get the chance to give it a few more listens... :)

Spike

If you are asking if it's possible to be notified when people post in this thread, then yes. You should be able to get email notification if you click the "Subscribe to this thread" link at the bottom left of this page.

Sorry about the being lazy....well not 'lazy'... busy :erk:

Haven't listened to your new one in a little while now, and please don't take this the wrong way, but while you all seem to be great individual musiscians (I'm not kidding), as a whole unit, it doesn't seem to quite work for me... at the moment at least anyway. :cry:

I suppose the only problem is that IMO at least, you guys need a bit more metal and a bit less doom/goth... if you know what I mean?

I'd have a fair bit of trouble classifying (not that this is what it's about) as a metal band at all at the moment, and the only bands I like which are at least as much goth/doom as they are in another genre, are 'Vigrin Black' (Who tread that fine line very well) and band that are Doomy/Gothic but are more Ambient/Dark Ambient, as opposed to metal.

Doesn't mean I won't give the album a few more spins when I get the opportunity ( :D ), and I want to look into your back-catalogue (if you guys have one) and see if your style has changed at all of late (for some reason I have it in my head that you have previous albums and that I seem to remember mention that they have a slightly different style/sound... but could always be wrong ;) )

Cheers,

Spike

TrevJ said:
You should be able to get email notification if you click the "Subscribe to this thread" link at the bottom left of this page.

I do get email notification for this thread and many others that I have replied to (automatically).

What I am asking is: Is it possible to receive notification when someone writes up a new thread so that I don't have to go to UM all the time to see the new threads.

There are LOTS of new threads going on (depending on the particular forum). I somehow doubt it's possible to get notification for each new thread, though I'm also assuming you'd be wanting notification of threads with specific titles....

Anyway, your best bet in that case is to ask Mark... send him a PM.

ie: Send a PM, and just address it to "Mark", trust me, he'll sort things out for you, one way or another. :D

Spike said:
I want to look into your back-catalogue (if you guys have one) and see if your style has changed at all of late Spike

Myriad was recorded in 1999.

Since Myriad the cellist was replaced with a violinist, the female singer was replaced by another female singer.

The promo single 'Inferno' was then recorded with this line up and it made it onto the Underearthed compilation CD.

The keyboardist left and now the female singer plays keys as well.

The band now has me and a new drummer.

I'd say our next release will sound different.