Mac G5 and Pro Tools HD Questions

Matt Crooks

www.fools-game.com
Feb 13, 2004
Mid-Atlantic, USA
www.fools-game.com
NK -

You said on the pub that you were getting a new G5 with the new NVida 6800. The Apple site says that this card blocks one of the PCI slots. I'm guessing that with this video card you would only be able to install a PT HD|2 system without the expanssion chassis, or am I missing something?

Also, I'm debating between a HD|2 and HD|3, strickly for financial reasons. My question is how much RAM should I put in the G5? I assume you'll tell me as much as possible, but 8GB is a bit expensive. Is 1GB enough, or do I need more?

Thanks in advance.
Matt

I currently use my HD3 in a G4 with 4 slots, 3 for PT and one for a hi speed SCSI card. I'm not sure if I'll use my G5 for Pro Tools, definitely not at first because it's a liquid cooled one and it will probably take a while for Digi to certify that model (I would suspect, although I could be wrong). I also have a dual G4 which I might end up using PT with. As of now it's running supersmoothly with the G4 (with 2GB RAM). I don't use a lot of plugins on this system, so I don't need a superfast host.

Neil K.

Addendum: I'll probably use the new G5 for a new all-round Mac, for gaming, and general day to day use. That's where I need the biggest speedup.

Neil K.

Sorry Matt - I missed your main question, that being the amount of RAM. Well, my experience is that you can never have too much, especially if you're running in OSX, which just absorbs all it can at startup, and then allocates RAM dynamically as necessary - a much improved method over OS9 of course. I'll probably end up getting a full RAM count eventually - I'm a RAM junkie and usually end up maxing my Macs out when the RAM prices are low. I'm getting 4GB to start off with (I'm an Apple developer, so I'm able to get fairly decent prices on it) which should be plenty anyhow..

Neil K.

Hello Neil!!!

Just one question regarding your answer to Matt; you said you don't use many plug-ins on your Pro Tools system.,..does that mean you use a lot of outboard, or that you record with EQ and compression?

Thanks a lot!

I use my PT rig mainly for editing/manipulation etc. plus pre-mix tidying up etc. I'll normally track on another rig in the studio and in between studio work do what I need to do at home.

I definitely record with EQ and compression (if either is necessary), and I do use a lot of outboard, mainly on the mixing end.

Neil K.