Mac G5s

John_C

formerly Skeksis268
Dec 30, 2008
Coventry, UK
www.myspace.com
I've been looking on ebay and there are a lot of G5 power macs selling for pretty low prices, is it at all worth spending a couple of hundred pounds on one?

Or should i go ahead and either try and build my own hackintosh or save up for a decent real mac (not pro, there's no way in hell i can afford a new mac pro)

no
get a new imac instead

This.

I have a Dual 2.0 G5 and while it's still rockin' with no issues I wouldn't recommend someone buying such an old computer. The new 27" iMac will take care of business for years to come, it's a great investment even though I know it's kinda steep but, you get what you pay for.

This.

I have a Dual 2.0 G5 and while it's still rockin' with no issues I wouldn't recommend someone buying such an old computer. The new 27" iMac will take care of business for years to come, it's a great investment even though I know it's kinda steep but, you get what you pay for.

This. Or a new Mac Pro when they come out, if you need the expandability.

I picked up a G5 about 6-7 weeks ago and I'm thrilled with it. I had a UAD 1 card so that limited me to the G5 over the mac pro, but coming from a G4 it was a great buy. I got the dual 2.7 with 2GB ram and its running pretty solid, especially for the money I was thrilled. Thats just my opinion though

Oh yeah, I mean like I said, mine is just a Dual2.0, but I've got no complaints. I just want the new stuff :D

Just 2GB, though honestly I'm curious to see what 2 more would do for me while I'm waiting to get an iMac or Mac Pro to replace the G5.

Ah I see, I was wondering the same thing myself as it is a cheap upgrade. You're jumping over to Intel though, Lucky you! I was blown away with the difference between the G4 and G5. I can't even imagine what it'll be like when yoy grab the new machine