MAC or PC

Lazzari

Chakachakalabuchaka
Aug 18, 2008
In a Shitty Country (Venezuela)
So im going to buy a new laptop with a intel core 2 duo 2.2 (maybe 2.4) ghz and 4 gb of ram memory... but im not sure of wich one to buy mac or pc ? im going to use it for home guitar recordings with the pod xt pro since the rest of my band live in another state... also im studying computer systems engineering, so that means im going to need a program (in pc is called visual studio, but i dont know the name of a program that can do the same thing in mac..) to do some programming... what do u guys recommend ?

It's been a long time since I did any programming so I don't know about the current trends towards software. All I can say is that Visual Studio isn't going to run on Mac OS because it's a Windows-only application. But with Boot Camp you can install Windows XP on your Mac (next to OS X) so can install Visual Studio and there shouldn't be any problems. :)

Oh really ? I heard bout it but i wasnt sure if it was true.. and what bout the diff. between mac and pc for recording ? Like wich one is going to suit me better for my toneport ux2 or the pod... ?

Oh really ? I heard bout it but i wasnt sure if it was true.. and what bout the diff. between mac and pc for recording ? Like wich one is going to suit me better for my toneport ux2 or the pod... ?

I can't imagine it would make much difference. The Pod and UX2 are both USB interfaces right? So you don't have to worry about the dodgy Firewire chipsets that Mac has been using (same applies to a PC though). I'd be swayed by price as my main concern. Personally if it were me I'd choose PC solely on the basis that Reaper is up and running on Windows but is still beta testing on Mac.

oh shit.... this can of worms is offically open again.

I say mac, it works very nicely for me. (i'll leave it at that)

I can't imagine it would make much difference. The Pod and UX2 are both USB interfaces right? So you don't have to worry about the dodgy Firewire chipsets that Mac has been using (same applies to a PC though). I'd be swayed by price as my main concern. Personally if it were me I'd choose PC solely on the basis that Reaper is up and running on Windows but is still beta testing on Mac.

Reaper ? Im sorry whats that ?

Macs are great if you can afford them; otherwise PC, cuz that's where all the great free/cheap stuff is! (e.g., Reaper, WagnerSharp, any free impulse plugin, etc.)

I didn't say anything :lol:

Mac book pro, Apogee Duet & Logic Pro. Just got my Duet today.

How's that duet working out? The only reason I didn't get one was it didn't have balanced outputs for reamping. I got a Metric Halo ULN2 instead.

*edit

Macs are great if you can afford them; otherwise PC, cuz that's where all the great free/cheap stuff is! (e.g., Reaper, WagnerSharp, any free impulse plugin, etc.)

Didn't Reaper put out an OSX beta?

Yes, but the buzz is that it isn't nearly as good as the PC version for some reason.

~006

How's that duet working out? The only reason I didn't get one was it didn't have balanced outputs for reamping. I got a Metric Halo ULN2 instead.

*edit

Didn't Reaper put out an OSX beta?

I just got it. Only messed with it a couple hours. Fits my needs. I got it for my bedroom. So far so good. Sounds great.

That Metric Halo set you back a little huh? Hows that unit?

Use whatever you're more familiar with.

There's some software that only works on either platform exclusively, so choose based on what you intend to use.

Personally, I've used PCs since the start, and will continue to use them until the day XP becomes unworkable without a viable modern-day alternative from Microsoft.

who else is amazed at how constructive and unbiased this has been so far!
Keep it up kids!