Mac video editing software

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Right, so I've been helping my Dad edit performance videos of himself on his iMac for promotional purposes, but as far as I can tell iMovie can only export in m4v files, which is pretty annoying, as it seems to not be a particularly widely-accepted format by online video-hosting sites (specifically the service he uses to build and host his website). So can anyone recommend any video-editing software (preferably free) for Mac that can export to a .mov or .avi? Or a format converter, perhaps? (though I fear that would really butcher the quality, video seems to be pretty finicky in that way)

Thanks jiggas

Don't know any free ones, but Final Cut Express should get you in the ballpark and it doesn't cost a fortune.

.avi isn't supported on Mac at least without some plugin that makes it work, because it's a Microsoft thing, but you are able to save in .mov because it's the native Quicktime file format.

edit. actually, it costs a little too much to "not cost a fortune". Let me look something else up for you

Either way, if you need a converter, use MPEG Streamclip. It's free and it was recommended to me by a professional at the finnish national opera (sounds grand doesn't it) :p that's what I use

what is your export process?

I go to Share>Export Using QuickTime>then the Export tab to select different formats

and if you also want to configure your compression type, under the same window, press the "Options" button which opens a new window and then click "Settings" under the video section and then select your compression type.

Good luck, d00d

I guess Marcus is talking about the Final Cut Pro... Final Cut comes in Pro and Express versions, and while Express is the cheaper version, it still costs over 200 so I guess it's too much if the options were "free" or "cheap"

orry.jpg

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D3380Z/A

:D